My Fitbit doesn’t work.
Don’t leave! Please… hear me out!
I’m not a Fitbit user by nature. I eschewed the call of “tracking” my exercise and general fitness in this way, and rolled my eyes with the rest of you when coworkers discussed ad nauseum “getting my steps in” and ranted about “I wasn’t wearing my Fitbit, so it didn’t count!” WHAT? Morons.
A co-worker who I occasionally walk with at lunch-time had her Fitbit break while on vacation, bought an upgraded new one, and found out later that the old one still worked. She offered it to me. Free.
Um, okay. I’ll try it – let me see what the hype is about. I've had it about month now.
I don’t get it. I don’t. Here are my observations:
My Fitbit (Fitbit One) automatically tracks steps, miles and flights of stairs. Sort of.
1. The coworker advised me that the mileage thing seems to be off. (I can't tell.)
2. My first flight downstairs in the morning doesn’t EVER count. It only tracks beginning with the first flight up. WHY?
3. My primary workout is yoga. This is not tracked. At all.
4. Neither is time on a stationary bike. Presumably, if I had my phone linked up and with me on an actual bike ride, the GPS may provide mileage for a workout.
5. I went into the app on my phone where, allegedly, I can add untracked exercise. Only to find that I can only log “run, walk, or hike”. WHY? How is this beneficial to anyone maintaining a healthy, varied exercise regime?
I would be very interested in the sleep tracking feature available. BUT I need to have the wristband to clip my Fitbit onto in order to even see if it works. I don’t have this, so I don’t even know if it works.
IF this product worked to track all my exercise, I could see the benefit, but when the Fitbit says I’ve had 17 active minutes on a day when I busted my butt and got in over 60 minutes of legitimate exercise (weight training? Fuggedaboutit) I am loathe to put my trust in it. If I have to manually enter it anyway, why not just do what I do now and mark it on my planner?
I'm not sold.
Do you have a Fitbit One? What am I missing? How can I add my hours of cycling, weights and yoga?
(Please don’t try to sell me on an upgrade. I will not pay for a device to track what I could just as easily track in my planner.)