29 June, 2023

American Road-Trip, Part 1: No Home is Safe!

Last week we returned from our month long trip to the US. Rather than write a play-by-play, I thought it would be more interesting to write individual stories or perspectives. This is about being a house-guest.

If I've ever visited your house, just know that I've redecorated it in my mind. The habit started during my baby-sitting days in college and pops up from time to time. Our recent trip was prime for it!

Take the residence of certain friends, for instance. Old friends we've stayed with twice during our extended trips abroad. The guest room is clean and simple, while the house is chock full of collectibles - Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, movie memorabilia, games... It's a big enough house that all I've really re-done in my head is the room where we've slept. Each time, it turns into a yoga room. I'd strip away the carpet, remove the closet door (to store yoga clothes and gear) and probably set up a meditation corner by the tall window.

Given the space I'd always want a yoga room. Another house we stayed in had a screened-in back porch... which would be (and was, for those few days) a good yoga space. It was big enough that in my mental refurbishment I could even keep some of the communal seating and just add storage and re-organize part of it for yoga. 

At that house, I also had ideas to "fix" the front porch.

They have a porch that runs the full length of the house, but do nothing with it! There's one lonely bench near the door, presumably for deliveries, and that's it. To be fair, I noticed the majority of houses in that region kept sparse front porches, with more activities focused out back. Now me, I like a front porch. I like to watch the world. A couple chairs, a table, maybe a potted plant or some flowering shrubs to accent the front edge. A wreath? Something to show personality. 

When I lived in that area, I didn't have a front porch, but hung wind chimes on my small side porch, and lined it with conchs and driftwood. It wasn't much but gave it a little personality.

Not that my house is perfect. I've been in this house four years and still can't settle on my favorite garden furnishings! 

Am I crazy? Do you ever do anything like that - think about how you would design a place differently?

8 comments:

  1. Interesting post...we have a guest room and while neat (I love walking in there), there are decor/collection stuff on the various surfaces. LOL! I love my front porch, just big enough for two rockers, a parcel delivery box, and a few gnomes & other fun things. I don't sit out there often enough. It faces west so summer afternoons are too hot. I use it early-mid spring and most of the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your porch sounds like a lovely place for a morning cup of coffee. I just appreciate having an outdoor space available - front or back, I guess!

      Delete
  2. I will occasionally redecorate classrooms. Some configurations are just weird. But mostly the teachers got it fine for what they're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! Substitute teaching, that would be a tempting mental exercise.

      Delete
  3. I one of the house, I could see where I would have put the TV and reconfigured the room. Also, that house has several great little nooks I would have turned into reading areas or small computer spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, a hidden computer jack... and lots of outlets. Nice.

      Delete
  4. I am not a big fan of houses and fancy interiors. I own an apartment which I have had for the past 19 years. I never felt like buying another house, like some of my friends. I was happy with the simple functional interiors the flat had when I bought it, and I didn't add or alter anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lived in houses and apartments, but never owned either. I always rent. I just don't feel permanent. That's the beauty of mentally redecorating others' houses!

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.