16 February, 2019

Are We Dead Yet?

Well, my priorities have solidified. 

When we moved here, one of my new expat friends was very interested in my theatrical background, and although we both sit and write together, we've also discussed trying to get a theatre group going here in Hoi An. 

I had since realized that she and I disagree fundamentally on a lot of things that would be critical to being co-founders of any kind of group. In my head, I had determined that the next time we talked about it I would gently bow out (with the understanding that possibly I would audition, just don't want to manage).

She recently met an Australian playwright and loves his new script. She wants to do a table reading and asked if I would do it. I wouldn't mind, but...

Now that I'm writing so much, I never know when inspiration will strike, or when my muse will be generous on a given day. Reading a play will involve several people and a certain time commitment. So I had to say...

"No. No. I have to be free to focus on writing now."

My priorities are now firmly stated. She understood.

The next day - The VERY NEXT DAY! - I was sitting in a coffee shop randomly writing in the notebook I have with me at all times, and a story started. And I love it. It's fun.

I'm so glad I declined on the play.

This new story seems like the kind that might just write itself, so that's what I'm doing. Or attempting. 

My original random thought that started all this? Have you ever heard a statement, something along the lines of "One of these days, he'll/I'll/she'll wake up dead." 

What if you woke up dead? I'm days into considering that, and having a blast.

6 comments:

  1. It always starts with a good what if... Enjoy writing your new story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a trip, writing this way. I'm literally following this girl around, discovering her world as she does.

      Delete
  2. There have been some great collaborations between people who didn't get along--even some who were quite hostile to each other. Gilbert and Sullivan, for instance. Of course there have been some equally great collaborations between people who got along too. You just have to do your own thing.
    And I have a feeling your story will make me laugh loud enough to wake the dead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! (caught the pun)
    True, collaboration doesn't have to be smooth, but I have a peaceful existence going on right now, and don't wish to deliberately add drama to it. (double entendre intended)
    p.s. LOVE Gilbert & Sullivan. Mom has a big hard-cover book of all the music. I grew up learning those songs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red,

    Sounds like you're on the ball, totally focused and enjoying your new freedom to write at will. To answer your question, what if I wake up dead? I can't imagine but often wonder what heaven is really like so part of me gets a bit excited thinking about a glorious afterlife that awaits me...someday, not tomorrow I have too much living to first. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yeah, but is that waking up? I think of waking up as still being earth-bound. Anyway, in this story that is taking off, she woke up dead and can't move on. Just yet anyway. I'm anxious to see what she learns!

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.