22 August, 2020

Reassessing What's Important

I am utterly apathetic these days. 

I don't think it's depression. It was, and sometimes is, but even when the depression fog lifts, I have zero motivation to do anything.

I'm learning two languages. Theoretically. I cancelled both classes last week, and haven't looked at the homework for either one.

I called off the classes because I'm trying to finish the novel I started in Nanowrimo last year. The ending is proving elusive, and I thought that if I gave myself permission to focus just on writing, I could sort it out. I did not. I wrote less on the days of the cancelled classes than on previous days. 

I called my mom the other day. Thought maybe a touch of normalcy would help shake me out of this ... whatever it is. It did not. It was yet another conversation of small talk, peppered with updates on my siblings as much as she knew. (My family does not partake of deep conversation with each other.)

So I'm just here to make sense of my own self.

Learning Mandarin was vital when we lived in China. I still think it's a good idea, and it is helpful with my little online Chinese students. But am I learning simply for vanity? To be able to brag? It will look good on a resume if I ever go back into the normal workforce, but how likely is that?

Learning Vietnamese is a good idea because I live here, but many foreigners don't bother learning it. Two reasons. 1) We are in a touristy area where minimal Vietnamese is needed. Most vendors and businesses that will have dealings with a foreigner have some basic English. 2) Pronunciation is apparently vastly different from north to south, so learning it in one place doesn't mean you'll understand it elsewhere. BUT 1) vendors and business-people appreciate a foreigner who at least tries to speak Vietnamese - even poorly, and 2) We haven't yet traveled away from the central coastal region, so ...

Do I continue with language classes? For both languages?

Before I started teaching online, when I decided that I was a Writer first and foremost, I forced myself to spend time writing. I keep adding hours teaching, which makes it feel like my main job. I mean, being paid NOW is more motivating than working long hours for the potential of payment later, should I ever be published. 

I think I need to cut back on teaching hours, and maybe relax the Mandarin for a bit. I don't know what that looks like time-wise, but at least I have an idea of a potential solution!

Thanks, Blogger. This has been productive.

8 comments:

  1. All I can do is send you some virtual hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I appreciate them! Just writing it all down helped.
      Absurdly personal, and not good blogging protocol, but it helped.

      Delete
  2. Life is a series of choices which to me is harder than the work. Oh well, I wish you success in your writing. I haven't seriously written in several years which is frustrating to me. Some is that I am overloaded with responsibilities and more that I don't make it a priority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to set a deadline on this beast. If I can't sort out the ending by ... September? Then I'll pull out the book that just needs one more edit before I start queries. Maybe. I don't know, but it feels good to have an idea.

      Delete
  3. I think we're all kind of burned out at the moment. The stress of the world might be more than some can take. You have permission to not be productive right now. Do what you can.

    I read someplace that to "follow your bliss" sometimes is to in a moment, take a look at the choices you have in front of you (like, eat dinner or go for a walk) and pick the one that makes you feel good in the moment. It sounds like you found a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... "follow your bliss" as a moment-by-moment plan. That's a paradigm shift.
      I do think the whole world must be tired, and yet people are carrying on. I'm blessed in that, if I'm not productive, it's not really noticed, except by me.

      Delete
  4. It's that personal assessment that gets in my way sometimes. I know what I would like to have happen, but do I really want to make the commitment to make it happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's when I need to remind myself of the end result. If the end result is important, the work must be important.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.