22 October, 2020

Your New Normal

I don't know you. 

I don't know the myriad ways your life is different now from this time last year.

I've seen talk about a "new normal" and I've seen people protesting "not MY new normal".

Okay, Nostradamus. You don't know that. You can fight change all you want - and if you are one of the "not MY new normal" types, I would bet that you do - but that doesn't make it true.

So let's play "what if".

What if the current situation is your new normal for the foreseeable future. Could you manage? Would you be content?

Current situation overall means restricted travel, limited shopping - and most of it online, limited eating out - most of it delivered or take-away, virtual meetings, virtual education. What if that new norm sticks around? Could you manage with this in the long term?

Current situation specific would include your job, your current living situation - roommates, spouse, kids - your current location. What if nothing changes? Will you be satisfied? (and if not, what can you change?)

All this is inspired by a conversation we had in my house recently.

Of course, we want to travel. We were supposed to take a trip to the US this past June, and because of where we live, there are many ancient and interesting locations we would love to visit. Not to mention that I have friends and personal history in nearby countries. 

We cannot travel.

We do not know when - if ever - we will see any members of our families again.

And yet, we are content. If this is our new normal, it's fine. Better than fine, actually. We work online, and although hours and pay have been reduced, we're okay. We are safe, and we live in a beautiful place that has a climate that suits us. 

Everyone is different. I know some people would not be able to live so far from their families or from the comforts of the culture they are in. I get that. We've found we are happy here. We want to be able to go places, but if we are "stuck" limiting our travel to within the boundaries of Vietnam, well, that's still okay. 

What about you? What needs to change in your life, if anything?

12 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm fairly content at the moment. I'm thinking I might make myself some more masks. I'd like to be working more, but I can use this time to work on my online shop. And I was never much for travelling.

    It's weird times, that's for sure. I won't miss this when it's over. Or, then again, I might look back on this time with some nostalgia. Not for all those who needlessly died, of course, but of the closed in times when nothing was open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should make more masks! A rainbow to go with every color in your wardrobe!
      Here in Vietnam, where mask-wearing was normal long before this, you can buy sets in the store: a bike hoodie (light-weight fabric, to protect from the sun) with a mask to match. Before Covid most people wore masks while out going places on their motorbikes, and women protect their skin from sun damage to an unbelievable extent!

      Delete
  2. The only thing I would like to get rid of are the face shields I have to wear at work. Other than that, my life hasn't changed much. I don't like wearing the masks when I go out but I really don't go out much so it isn't that big of a bother.

    I do hope you eventually get to come home. I realize you say you're content, but I'm sure it would be nice to see your families again. I can understand not wanting to see Indiana though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. It's not Indiana. We enjoyed living there. I mostly feel bad for Brett. We haven't seen his family since our visit in 2017. In the past year I've been back twice for funerals in my family. Yes, it would be nice to see them for fun, but at least I've seen them and shared some laughs.

      Delete
  3. Mostly, the only thing I'd like to change is the weather. If it would only stay warm (you know, in New England in winter...) porch visits with friends could continue. As it is, I'm facing another few months of excessive solitude. Won't kill me - I'm not much of a social animal - but I do miss just hanging out with one or two pals over coffee and a jigsaw puzzle.

    Still, I'm trying to stay appreciative of the fact that the pandemic is helping to keep my "flexible" toned. People like routine but it's easy for that to calcify into rigidity - and during times like these, all rigidity does is make you crazy. (Unless, of course, you enjoy running into brick walls...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! "Keep your flexible toned." I love that phrase.

      For some reason REO Speedwagon's "Roll With the Changes" keeps running through my head as Very Good Advice.

      Delete
  4. No doubt these are very strange times. The virus has disrupted lives like never before and taken away over millions lives.
    Going out and into the crowds is absolutely scary. (India is very densely populated, especially the cities.) The enforced home confinement is frustrating to say the least.
    There is a saying: When things don't turn out the way you want, make the best of the way things turn out.
    That's exactly what I have been doing.
    My son, who is in Australia, was scheduled to come home on holidays in May. But that didn't happen. Now there is idea when we can go there to meet him or he can come here to meet us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you and your son are both able to stay safe whenever a visit is possible. Our neighbor (from Australia) has been apart from her husband this whole time. He flew back home to visit his mother just before Vietnam locked down the borders in April. Now he can't get back because of Vietnam's strict border control due to Covid.

      Unprecedented times, indeed.

      Delete
  5. I hear you. And I remember this conversation well. I would love to see my family once it is possible and we have a guaranteed entry back into Vietnam. I can't risk it before then. But, if this is just the way it is, I can live with it. For however long it takes. Even if forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd be okay with things the way they currently are. Glad to see you are doing okay I think about you now and then. I have just been terrible about blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise and likewise. I miss your weekly recaps, but I'm not on here a lot anyway. Take good care!

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.