I started a new post that was actually amusing me, but my fingers/brain aren't working well together (typing ph for f, ere for ear, etc.) so I decided my post can wait, and I might as well do this New Years Meme handed to us all on a silver platter by Mommy Wants Vodka. Happy New Year!
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
The 30-hour Famine – a fundraiser to feed the hungry while experiencing hunger.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I hate new year’s resolutions. I don’t do them. BUT this year I do resolve to organize my house.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not close to me…I think they usually do it in a hospital.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
A dear friend from church (while at her daughter's home), and I continue to see “her” out driving around all the time. Also the mother of a friend from Jr. High. Our families were tight back then but we’re now geographically apart.
5. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A new job, please.
6. What countries did you visit?
In this economy? But you give me an idea that if I have no out-of-country travel to do, I will make it a point to visit Canada or Mexico each year. Just to say I did!
7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why:
2.22. I joined a clinical trial for a new weight-loss program that actually works! It’ll be available to the public in the spring.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Driving in Baltimore…through areas I did not know, without GPS assistance.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Saving money. Nope. All poured into the money pit that is my car.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A few disgusting days out with a viral infection, and a wisdom-tooth extraction…which is actually a pretty good story!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My nook. Now I am never caught without something to read!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I love that Aung San Suu Kyi has kept her cool all this time and is finally free. One strong chica!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The NFL players. I know I’m a nerd, but I also love NFL football. But you disappoint me guys! I’m boycotting this season because you’re a bunch of money-grubbing SOBs. In this economy, when so many people live paycheck to paycheck or on unemployment, you decide your millions aren’t enough? Shame on you.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Into my money pit of a car. (see also, no.9.)
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Seeing my brother…just him and me at Mom and Dad’s. He lives with his family overseas, and I haven’t seen just him in FOREVER! Nothing like a big brother to keep you human!
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
I don’t know if it will “remind me of 2011”, but it sure helped in 2011: Laura Story’s “Blessings”
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? About the same. Optimistic about 2012, though!
ii. thinner or fatter? Thinner.
iii. richer or poorer? Poorer. That’s what happens when you live paycheck to paycheck in an inflation-prone world.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Working on my thesis.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Vegging in front of the TV.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Baking 42million cookies. Want some? I can bake some kickin’ cookies!
21. There was no #21. I don’t know why there was no 21.
I’ll make up my own question like everyone else.
What do you feel you missed out on in 2011?
I didn’t get to that concert of Star Wars as narrated by Anthony Daniels, although it was in a city near me.
22. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Ask me later. I recently met someone who appeals to me in that respect…but “on paper” seems wrong for me. I should know by the end of January.
23. How many one-night stands?
Don’t do that. Pulled out of the dating game 2 years ago because dating sucks. (I know that seems to conflict with no.22. What can I say? I can be nothing but myself.)
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Big Bang Theory, but I was becoming a TV-whore watching anything and everything. Canceling my Cable was the best thing I could have done!
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t hate anyone, but I have decided to loosen my ties to a couple friends who turned out to be less than friend-like.
26. What was the best book you read?
Got into a bunch of classics. Jane Eyre was probably the one I loved most. Thought I’d read it before but that must have been Wuthering Heights.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
No discoveries this year.
28. What did you want and get?
Freedom from Comcast!
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I watched so many movies this year. “The Help” is the easy answer, but I also was pleasantly surprised by Cowboys and Aliens. …and was The King’s Speech 2011 or 2010?
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I don’t do my birthday. I sent my mom a bouquet of roses on the day, because she did all the work. Months later a friend and I celebrated “our” birthdays by going to the symphony.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Seeing my younger brother and his family.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Not really fashionable at all, but I am in smaller-sized clothes!
34. What kept you sane?
Prayer ...and alcohol.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Don’t think I did…
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I believe the one I wasted the most breath on was the politicians tweeting career-ending statements that would have been a non-issue had they merely been spoken under one’s breath. Seriously? They had to tweet that?
37. Who did you miss?
Grandma, who died near the end of 2010.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I went to a Christopher Moore book-signing, does that count? No? I didn’t actually “meet” the new mid-management person, but got to know her better and find that we have much in common.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:
Don’t spend time with people who bring you down.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
“Blue canary in the outlet by the light-switch, who watches over you?” Doesn’t exactly “sum up” the year, but food for thought, no?
The rest of the meme says I should tag some people but, if you can read this, consider yourself tagged!