11 September, 2018

The Greatest American Parade Every Year

Sunday Photo Fiction time! (Check it out HERE)
It's Tuesday for me, which means it's probably Monday for most of you, so I'm not as late to the game as my last one. You know the drill. Fiction under 200 words, inspired by the selected photo.

Photo credit: C.E. Ayr


“Here come the bagpipes!” This was Kitty’s favorite part of any parade. But to be here, on New Years Day!


Her friends were talking amongst themselves. They didn’t get it.

Her eyes lit up as the “American Sons of Scotland” neared, playing a highland tune she vaguely recognized. So many bagpipes! The sheer quantity of pipers was impressive, in addition to the power of the music she was smiling and humming to. Heaven.


She knew there would be more later, too. The annual Tournament of Roses parade always had several groups playing bagpipes. State Trooper units from around the country, a military group, smaller bagpipe bands from communities around the US that just wanted the honor to play in this event.


As the “Sons of Scotland” passed, she turned back to her friends. “That was amazing,” Kitty gushed.


“Dude. You look like you just fell in love.” Despite his name, Scotty would never understand.


“Not just,” she explained. “Years ago.” Why did she always get defensive about her heritage? She sat sullenly watching her friends. She should have come alone. She shed a silent tear for Uncle Mike, who first introduced her to the beauty of her highland home.


word count: 199

4 comments:

  1. Bagpipes... Only if they're played well. She'll one day find someone who gets it, and she'll never let him go ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird the connection we have to random things. I wonder how much of that is genetic.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I don't know why she cried. Why do all my people cry?

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.