30 July, 2018

Photo Flash Fiction?

This is my first time, but I've seen this on a couple different blogs. Sunday Photo Fiction!

Sunday Photo Fiction is a weekly challenge to write a story of less than 200 words, based on a photo prompt. To join the fun...
Click on this link 


image: Joy Pixley








“Here. It’s perfect.”


“Out here in the open? They’ll find us.”


“No, the big hollowed out boulder! Perfect hiding place. We could practically set up house in there.”


“I’m not hiding in a skull.”


“You are such a wimp, Bobby.”


Sally clambered up the rocks from the shore. She reached back to offer her little brother a hand. He was never a bold one, but she didn’t think he was superstitious enough to decline shelter. Standing in front of the rock, she agreed with him. “It really does look like a skull. Oh well.”


Sally slung the backpack full of that morning’s pickings into the eye-socket and searched for a foothold, so she could join the bag. She looked back at Bobby, mesmerized by the rock, eyes wide. “Bobby! Get up here! They’re coming!” 


Finally hearing the distant sirens, Bobby accepted her hand and joined her in the eye. Within minutes, it started to rain. At least that might wash away any footprints they left in the sand.


Sally opened the backpack to see what kind of goodies they managed to grab from that electronics store in town, as the sirens passed on the road behind them.

Word count: 197

12 comments:

  1. It does look like a skull. I wonder why they resorted to thievery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the other flash fiction entries seemed to focus on it AS a skull. I wanted to focus on it as a rock.
      Stupid kids. I think they have no parents.

      Delete
  2. Great characters, I can see them scrabbling for survival for years to come before anyone notices them or catches up with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a fascinating story. Some might call it only a beginning but I love stories that leave it to the reader to fill in the details. For instance I'm really fixated on what they're going to find in that enormous nose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! If they chose to use this as they're regular hideaway, they could plant hanging or climbing vines for added cover!

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the flash world....great little tale. Left me wanting to know more - always a good way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm kind of wanting to know more, too. lol

      Delete
  5. Great story. I love that skull too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had fun with it. Usually I see these prompts and can't think of anything.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.