01 April, 2023

Apathy - #AtoZChallenge

#AtoZChallenge 2023 badge

"This is so pointless!" Myriah said with an eyeroll before stomping out of the room and heading back to her studies.

The palace guards kept their eyes firmly pointed at the motes of dust hanging three feet in front of them, not allowing any emotion to display. Family disputes were not their business, and the princess had developed a temper. King Solomon looked to his advisor, his loyal steward, for any hint of insight. The steward opened his mouth, then closed it. He offered a small shrug. "She's your daughter," was his only comment.

"I asked God for wisdom. I can solve anyone's problems, but my teen-aged children are beyond me," he moaned. How was it that his favorite daughter had grown into this young woman who cared so little about anything. He looked toward the doorway into the long hall to household quarters, checking to be sure she was out of sight before resuming the throne. "It will have to wait. Next!" The doorman opened the door at the opposite end of the long hall to invite in a small group seeking resolution.

There were many supplicants today. He worked past his usual dinner time, giving each person the attention they needed. It wasn't until he finally stopped for a bite that he allowed his mind to return to Myriah and her apathetic attitude.

Later, as he walked through the women's wing of the palace, Solomon could hear his daughter's strident voice raised in argument. "But what is the point, mother? Why even bother learning to do this? It's meaningless! I'm never going to end up doing anything like this!" He couldn't hear the response. "Bah! You're hopeless! This whole thing is!" A scoffing sound, then footsteps and she added in a grumble, "Nothing means anything anymore."

Solomon was troubled that night. He called for his scribe to bring in parchment. When he couldn't understand something, writing it out sometimes helped. He started with the word Myriah had used to her mother: "Meaningless!" Hearing her tone in his head, he wrote it again. "Meaningless!" And then, "Everything is meaningless!" 

It took most of the night, but by morning, he had an idea of how to explain to his daughter why she had to do the "pointless" things she had to do.

Reference: This tiny micro-fiction was inspired not by actual events from the Bible, but by the book of   Ecclesiastes. This book begins with several chapters about the futility of existence before warming into basic wisdom and hope for the future. I love the idea that the wisest man ever to have lived might have pulled inspiration from a teenage rant. Who knows? Plus, I've been pretty apathetic about writing lately, and had to get it off my chest if I'm going to commit to a whole month of this. Thank you for indulging me!

17 comments:

  1. I liked reading this micro fiction, Red. And Myriah isn't alone in thinking everything is meaningless. Sometimes, I feel so, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel I'm entering my "apathetic phase" right now. Hence, the inspiration to write this!

      Delete
  2. Good to see your first post. My first post. Articles and Blogs on Industrial Engineering
    https://nraoiekc.blogspot.com/2023/04/articles-and-blogs-on-industrial.html

    #AtoZChallenge 2023 Theme: A to Z of Industrial Engineering
    https://nraoiekc.blogspot.com/2018/06/a-to-z-of-industrial-engineering.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll get over there and check it out.

      Delete
  3. Love it! People underappreciate the power of teenage rants on history :D

    The Multicolored Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? No one will ever know how many big things were inspired by teen angst.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic start to A-Z! Really enjoyed it...

    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna! I've missed our interactions. I'll swing by your blog soon.

      Delete
  5. Teenagers - in the chasm between concrete and abstract thinking - have some of the most unique thoughts in the world. A very good flash. - A-to-Z (ErinPenn.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is so dramatic in that frame of mind. Thanks for your visit!

      Delete
  6. Lovely to see you at day 1. Though I may be delayed (day job), I do plan on visiting as many wonderful blog as I can. So many great themes! https://www.denisedekker.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually prepared most of my first week in advance, so that I could visit more blogs. Then, this week turned on it's head and I'm only getting around to visiting today! (day 3)

      Delete
    2. Something is preventing me from commenting on your site. I'm so sorry! I am visiting!

      Delete
  7. Yeah, sometimes we just have to write out our feelings. It helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't journaled in so long, but this week in another challenge, I had to. I was surprised at what came out. Wonder if Solomon was surprised to find out he could identify with his teenagers!

      Delete
  8. I remember being about 20 years old and losing out on the job I really wanted, so I still had to struggle at my low-paying one. After sitting there feeling sorry for myself, the "What's the point of ANYthing" mindset kicked in.

    Even if I landed that job, then what?
    If I found the right woman, then what?

    Luckily, it didn't last long, but for that day nothing had any real purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, clearly even King Solomon had those days! I get them, but they usually don't last too terribly long. Or at least, I push through. My need for productivity wins in the end.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.