08 July, 2016

What Dreams May Come...

 
Image from the 1998 movie "What Dreams May Come"

I dreamed last night that I was being followed by ghost people. They looked like people, but dream-me knew they were not alive.

Isa-Lee Wolf of A Bit To Read was posting about bad dreams and it came back to me. (Thanks for the inspiration, I-L!)

Truthfully, the theme of being chased is extremely common in my bad dreams. I do not like it. I'm always hiding. I don't want to be found out. (anonymous blog, much?) But I haven't had one of these in quite a long time. I've had disturbing dreams for the last week or so, which is, coincidentally, as long as Brett has been working nights. I go to bed early, so that when he comes home at 4:30 he can wake me up and we have a few hours awake together.

Two things have happened: 
1. The bad dreams - which may just be a manifestation of shadows I don't usually see when I go to bed after dark 
2. Now I bounce right out of bed as soon as I awaken. I cannot fall back asleep. No dozing and "having a lie-in" as my Brit friends say. 
This morning that was at 2 a.m. because he came home early. I've been awake since 2 a.m.!

Tomorrow I am sticking to the "get up at 4:30 a.m." schedule because we want to be on the road early for the next visit with family / delivery of stuff we can't take abroad. 
 
I can't help but think of the origin of this post's title: In Hamlet's "To be or not to be" soliloquy, he is musing on the value of death.

"...for in that sleep of death, what dreams may come must give us pause..."

Would death be a respite, or full of haunting nightmares? 
  
Maybe I'll get used to sleep deprivation; who knows? At least it's only a few months. Then we'll be on Beijing time. Hey, maybe this will make the transition easier!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are entering an exciting time of life. Luckily, I do not remember dreams. For writing purposes that is not that cool though. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't necessarily help to remember... except that I have learned a lot about dreams. So many vivid dreams made me do research!

      Delete
  2. I have very vivid dreams. Sometimes I am being chased too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Falling/flying is another regular theme with me.

      Delete
  3. I've been having really weird dreams this week, mostly involving wild animals. One where I drowned a wolf, and another with a bear hostage-type situation. It always seems to be anxiety based with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Animals? Interesting. There's a blogger I found during A-to-Z:
      http://allfeathersfurandfins.blogspot.com/

      If you are interested in the psychological/spiritual significance of animals, you may want to check her out!

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.