27 May, 2012

Where Does the Time Go? Catching Up

Hi there! Remember me?
Yeah, I'm still here. I just saw on someone else's blogroll that I last posted 4 days ago.
WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?
That Red, man, she's such a slacker...


>sigh<
So I'm doing a total cop-out and posting an overall update on what's happening. Okay? Okay.

Most (if not all) of you reading this also read Brett's blog, The Transformed Non-conformist. So you've probably read his recent post that mentioned our day together this past Thursday. We are able to get together about once a week. He's even been over here and met my parents. (Please note that he survived the visit and is still blogging.)

~~~
I have to say, I feel like I'm dating a celebrity. The Transformed Non-conformist has so many followers and awards, and is just so popular ...and yet *I* am the one he chooses to spend his time with. It's like he's talking about someone else when he mentions me in his blog: "Who's this 'Red' person?"
(...I probably shouldn't have admitted that, but it's true.)
~~~

Those of you new to Doesn't Speak Klingon may have missed the fact that I moved to Indiana from Delaware nearly a month ago.(Here is the sort of summary after my arrival, but there's a lot of posts about the whole process.) I'm living with my parents until I get a job and move into my own place. I have no regrets, especially with my mom's extreme gratitude when I help Dad with the dog or the lawn or the gardening. I think she's worried about him overexerting himself. He had a mini-stroke in February, which was the impetus for my move. So I'm happy to help.

I had lived in Delaware for almost 12 years, which is a REALLY LONG TIME...and I was overdue to move, because ...well, one symptom was the fact that I couldn't go anywhere without running into someone I knew. And I need to start over every now and then. So I'm looking forward to starting that starting over process. Right now I'm just "at Mom & Dad's".

But dude, I wish I had a job by now!

So I'm spending a lot of time sifting through the options being sent my way by Career Builder. I have quite a broad search, which means there's a LOT to sift though. See, I want to live close to my parents, but I don't require the same area-code. In Delaware, I was a 12-hour drive away. I figure if I'm within 2 or 3 hours, that's still a do-able distance if something happens. So I'm casting a broad net geographically, and now have two resumes posted with different emphases. 

However, I've been focused on full-time positions. This week I will get a part-time job, so I at least have some money coming in ...and can keep filling my gas-tank to get to see Brett. Because it is still a bit of a drive for both of us.

So I guess technically I'm right on schedule. When I first decided to move here - with no job lined up (which was a radical idea) - my expection was to have at least a part-time job by the end of May, and to be settled into a full-time job and new place before the summer is out. Of course, my hope was to have a full-time position by now, and be able to focus on finding somewhere to live, but I knew that was unrealistic.

Basically, that means my time is divided between job-search, family, and Brett. I have no social life to write about. It never struck me until now, but a lot of my posts in April had to do with goodbyes and packing, and all that stuff is over. And hasn't been replaced.

I'm sure once I actually "start over", I'll have more entertaining things to say.

On another note:
In the US this is Memorial Day weekend - a holiday to remember fallen service-men and -women. But, here is a more random...

Today's Reason to Celebrate:

On this date in 1521, Martin Luther was banned by the Edict of Worms (that's "Vohrms") because of his religious beliefs and writings. Way to go, dude! Free us from that religious tyranny!

13 comments:

  1. Way to bury the lead, girl. You got a J-O-B?? Congrats! That is fantiastic news. What will you be doing? Is there a possiblity for FT in the future? Good job. You are on your way!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm...no. I'm looking for a job.
      I intend to have a part-time job by the end of the week, whatever it may be.

      Meanwhile, I'm still looking for full-time.

      Delete
  2. Nice to hear from you! I think you're a bit of a celebrity in your own right. Just saying.

    Sometimes it scares me, not really scares but surprises me, to hear how hard it is to find a job in the States. I always fantasize that I could just walk in and find something... so hard for me to be realistic!

    Good luck on your continued search. I imagine that being so flexible about location is going to be a real advantage.

    And by the way, once a week is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      It is scary. Everyone in Delaware said I'd get a job quickly because I make a good employee/boss, etc. etc. but I have to get an interview first! That's okay. I know I'm in the right place, and my parents are very supportive.

      Once a week is...barely enough. ;-)

      Delete
    2. LOl! Love that last sentence of course! Nice one :-)

      And by the way, since the dashing Brett didn't end up joining the contestants for the Kindle prize, I would love to get your vote. Of course, may not be possible since you have trouble with Pish's blog,but if it worked out here's the link:

      http://www.the-pish-posh.com/2012/05/week-12.html

      You just scroll to the bottom and right before the comment section you'll see all of the contestants' images with a little "vote" link underneath each. Voting closes on Monday morning. I Would love for you, and anyone else that might read this, to click the one under Lady in Red! Thanks! :-)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you have all of your ducks in a row and everything is going as planned? That's just impressive!

    I've spent my entire life in one place. I've lived on the same yard since 1973! I admire your ability to pack up and move about. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you! I don't think it's an ability so much as a necessity.

      Delete
  4. Job searches are hard. I've been trying to find a full-time faculty position on the OTHER coast for about a gazillion years now. Eventually I'm going to go batshit crazy and start sending xeroxes of my butt instead of resumes. But you've got your family close by, so you've got help with your sanity at least! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that moving out here should be helpful. Most companies don't like to pay relocation if they can help it.

      Of course, if it weren't for my dad's health, I'd have preferred to keep my job in this economy!

      Delete
  5. Despite my repeated dreams where your father will not talk to me, the visit with your parents was great. I look forward to future visits.

    As for the 'celebrity' thing, I try to use that status in the real world, but it never seems to work out the way I picture it in my head. I tell people that I am 'kind of a big deal' on the internet and should get special treatment, but my pleas for free stuff continue to go unfulfilled. I have faith they it will pay off one day and I will make them pay for their insolence. In the meantime, I am thrilled to get to spend the time with you as we grow into actual stardom together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real life celebrity, Internet celebrity, whichever. You know you're a star. I'm glad to be along for the ride.

      Delete
  6. I got mentioned once on Pish Posh's blog. That's blog famous enough for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy with my circle of followers, but it still feels like I'm dating a celebrity.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.