22 March, 2012

Today's Post is Brought to You by the Number 3

Gather ‘round, dudes! There’s an award-winner in your midst!

That’s right. Last week the inimitable Bozo awarded me the “3”. Woot-woot!

That means she wants to know more about me. The rules are simple: List 3 things about myself, and award it to 3 more bloggers I want to know more about. Easy-peasey, right?

As I tried to think of 3 things to share, I was startled to find how much I’ve already stated in my blog. So if these 3 things don’t satisfy you, check my archives; there’s a surprising amount in there!

1.       First, I feel I should satisfy Bozo’s curiosity about my appearance. (btw, Bozo, I notice that you don’t post photos of yourself either: “Hi, Pot? It’s the Kettle…”) Here goes: I’m tall. Not WNBA tall, but tall for a girl. I’m 5’10”. It’s the most noticeable thing about me, except maybe the hair, which…take a deep breath, people…is a bottle-red. There. It’s out. My natural shade is a sort of dark strawberry blonde that’s getting dull with age, truth be told. Trouble with that color is, anytime I’d do something stupid I’d get an earful of blond jokes. Annoying. So when I was in college I decided that if people were going to stereotype me, I’d help them a bit, and colored my hair to match my attitude. It looks very natural, because there's recessive red in my blood, so I have the right skin-type for it.
2.       The 2nd movement of Beethoven’s 7th Symphony stops me dead in my tracks. Always. In fact, I was going to list something else for number 2, but I’m watching “Immortal Beloved” (a movie about Beethoven) as I write this, and the score got to the point where I had to just put down my pen and let the music wash over me. Listen to it once. It’s more haunting than Barber’s Adagio for Strings (most people know the Adagio from the movie “Platoon”) ...>sigh<... Trite as it sounds, I LOVE Beethoven! When I saw his 9th symphony live – HEA-VEN! (A recording doesn't do it justice) – it became the central theme of my Christmas letter that year.
3.       I have lived in six U.S. states – in more than one location in most of those – and 3 countries outside the U.S. I’ve seen 47 U.S. states…at least driven through or on a plane stop-over.

Fascinating stuff, yeah? If you think I should have listed something else, please ask a question in the comments.

Now for the 3 bloggers *I* want to know more about:

1.       Jeff Laws. Jeff writes a “daddy blog” (would you say that’s accurate?) and he lives in Indiana. He’s totally open about the joys and struggles of fatherhood. As someone who has lived in Indiana (I think) his whole life, I hope he has some familial, Midwestern stories to share. (If you’re new to my blog, I’m moving to Indiana in a month.)
2.       Ash-MaticI can’t sum him up, because clearly he is nuts. (That's a compliment.) I always enjoy his posts and comments - on anyone's blog, so I wish to know more about what makes him tick.
3.       Cranky&Difficult“Cranky&Difficult&anEnigma”, more like. All I know is that he apparently loves history as much as I love geography, and I use his website when my own calendars fail me and I need a new “thing to celebrate”. He has two blogs, and as much as I use his history blog, I have a feeling he found me because of the Movie Whore, because his other blog is movie reviews.

There you have it: My award! …and now, Yours!
Visit these guys, and let me know if I missed a vital point about myself. I’m [usually] happy to oblige.

26 comments:

  1. You mean to tell me you aren't actually Darth Vader? Or are you saying Darth Vader is a 5'10 inch girl? The Internet is so confusing. :(

    I love traveling, but I've never lived outside of Colorado and have only been to a few states here in the US. For traveling, I prefer outside the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know. Shocker, right? Darth Vader is my favorite villain, though, if that helps.

      You should road-trip! The great joy of America is that there is such diversity within our borders, and you don't need a passport or visa, or "items to declare" to move around. I fully intend to cart a ton of Dogfish Head beer across many state lines when I move to Indiana - no questions asked!

      Delete
  2. Oh you made me laugh! You know, I felt bad about asking what you looked like, because later on I saw your profile thingy that said you don't like to go into those details here. So thank you for humouring me all the same!

    I'm just under 5'10" so we have something else in common. And although kettles are usually black, my hair is more of a dirty blonde colour.

    It was fun to learn more about you - and I'm going to check out these other blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to say that when I commented to each of these guys with their award, I was entertained by each of their posts, so I'm glad I posted this today.

      Delete
  3. I have had the travel bug bad for the last several years. I want to see everything. I will probably drive you nuts with all my questions about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rock on - but be advised most of my travels outside the US were not as tourist, or even as "adult observing the world" but as "kid growing up and finding this to be the normal".

      Delete
  4. That's awesome, which state was your favourite to live in? Which one would you like to live in most?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...Not PA, Not necessarily Illinois, although Chicago is the BEST city in the States, I could never go back unless I actually lived in the city. All my friends are happily suburban and I just can't. I get more city time living in Delaware, where I can go do DC or Baltimore for a day.

      I had a very happy childhood in Iowa, but I gotta say, Delaware's the favorite state so far. That's why I stayed so long!

      I would like to live in a state I've not lived in before. When I visited a college friend in South Dakota, I fell in love with the prairie...and have always loved the Badlands up there. That could be pretty cool. I'd try a Dakota!

      Delete
  5. I prefer Beethoven's 5th, good clarinet solo.

    But only one band can make me stop dead every time, Tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M GOING TO SEE THAT TOMORROW NIGHT! Yes. Awesome. The man was a tortured genius.

      ...and who are you calling a tool? (Never heard of them. I'll have to look them up.)

      Delete
    2. You've never heard of TOOL?? You have, you just don't know it. SOBER. Look it up.

      Delete
    3. DOH! smacked-down by Misty-meanor! ;)

      Delete
    4. :O

      Shhh! Keeep your voice down. Don't let people know you haven't heard of Tool...

      People might start unsubscribing...

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hglVqACd1C8&list=FLMF46wbHUa0lAoPI_oTqijg&index=19&feature=plpp_video

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEeAn6_QJo&feature=BFa&list=FLMF46wbHUa0lAoPI_oTqijg&lf=plpp_video

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1I6pFbwhWU

      Delete
    5. Too funny, Rusty.
      Actually, Misty's right. I've heard them, I just don't know them by name. My officemate pulled them up on her Pandora and I immediately recognized.

      Don't unsubscribe!

      Delete
  6. Ok, I have a question: how old are you? Or at least what range are you in? If you don't feel comfortable answering, that is fine . . . but I just wonder because sometimes your voice seems younger and sometimes older and I'm just curious.

    Also, do you plan on getting over to B-more again before you leave? Not sure if that is on your list of things to do, but you know I work there, right? If you wanted to grab a coffee or something, I would be game. You know this is someone who also tries to be somewhat anonymous on her blog, so you know I would respect your anonymity as well if we ever met. Just putting it out there. I am a lovely first date! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! Good question. I think we are fairly close in age.

      I'll tell you why I don't give my age: People like to know someone's age because that offers some guidance as to the type of life experience they've had. My life experience is screwed up because of my weird growing up. I missed most of the American 80s due to living in South Asia at the time. Most women my age have been married at least once and tried the kid thing.

      As I say, I have no kids, no spouse, no mortgage, no greys! So, yes, I'm sure I sometimes sound younger because I'm still living the single life.

      I plan to be doing some "Baltimore-area" dinner thing sometime in April. I would absolutely love to come in early and meet for coffee! Let's do it!

      Delete
    2. Cool beans. Just let me know. You have my email, right? Send me the details of where and when and I'll be there. :)

      Delete
    3. Will do. I'm waiting for a date confirmation.

      Delete
  7. Red you never seem to amaze me at anything....Very cool post and I enjoy the comments sometime even better than the blog it self to see people's responses is just priceless. Keep up the good work....

    So long for now..

    Steve Powers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! (I assume you mean that I never "cease" to amaze you - lol, tooting my own horn - maybe you do mean "seem")

      It's sometimes hard to make these award posts interesting and still fulfill the obligation, so I appreciate that you liked it. (I've got a doozy in the works for tomorrow!)

      Delete
  8. Congrats!

    Recently, I have been listening to a lot of classical music as well. Mozart is kinda my boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mozart's my brother's fave. He has a COMPLETE collection of Mozart's work. You know how big that is? A lot.

      I'm not against Mozart, but I feel Beethoven, somehow.

      Delete
  9. Wow. Now I envy you more than before.

    I love red hair (and I don't care if it's bottled, red is rad. Sadly, it never looks quite right on me). And I desperately wanted to be tall. I'm 5'3", so that didn't exactly work out either.


    Congrats on your award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best friend is 5'3". Nothing wrong with that!
      There's a woman in our office who often has to update a client board, and sometimes can't reach the top ones. She'll turn to look at me and go, "Stre-etch?"

      It's a gift and a curse, but nothing I can do about it.

      Delete
    2. I am also nearly 5'3". The other day I was at the grocery store and I couldn't reach the Diet Dr. Pepper. I jumped and stretched for about three minutes. Nobody offered to help. I do not believe you have a curse. :P I also can't go to movie theaters where the seats fold up. My feet don't reach the floor, therefor I cannot keep the seat down while I sit.
      I do like to have more of an image to put in my head while I read. I was constantly picturing Vader. Now I picture that actress from Will and Grace.

      Delete
    3. Sweet! Thanks - she's kind of nuts, too, so I'll take it. Wish I could be that thin, but then doesn't everyone. (well, maybe not *that* thin!)

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.