05 April, 2012

Red (& Brett's) Secret Squirrel Squad

If you’ve been following my blog, you may realize that no person who knows me in real life is aware of my blog. (There are reasons they aren’t allowed in, but that’s not what this is about.) Since they are not here, nobody who knows me knows about my internet fiancé, Brett. (If you missed the original post that started this, check this out and don’t forget the comments.)

That started what has turned into a wild, emotional, roller-coaster ride bridging the gap between reality and cyberspace. When we started talking about meeting, I decided to let my mom know this was going on. Not because it was such a big deal yet, but because if things progress to the point where it becomes a big deal it would only be fair that she had a heads up. (you can read that story here ) As you can see in that post, I left it to her discretion whether she thought it was worth troubling my dad about it.

I now had a Secret Squirrel who was in the know and supportive! It’s very hard to hold onto something like this all alone.

Two weeks ago I went to the symphony with my best friend Aphrodite. On the way up she saw the picture of the now-famous flowers,

which is the background on my phone, and asked who they were from and I gave her the whole story. She laughed a lot, not at me, but at some of the exchanges like the whole “axe-murder” thing, and at the concept of ME of all people in this kind of situation. (I am well-known for being defiantly single. I conscientiously avoid romantic entanglements. So this situation was cause for her enjoyment.)

With Aphrodite in the mix, I had just expanded my Secret Squirrel network to two. Better and better. And Aphrodite is a better sounding board, because she’s here all the time and of the right generation.

The other night at dinner, as I said here, I couldn’t help but mention this situation to The Nurse, because otherwise she was going to urge me into the Indianapolis dating scene. (Dating is torture, people TORTURE!...oh wait, The Nurse did play Nurse Ratched recently...) She didn’t take the situation seriously at all, but she still counts as a Secret Squirrel. That’s three Secret Squirrels!
I like to imagine my Secret Squirrel Squad as Jedi Knights.
May the Force be with them!
Eventually, Mom did say something to Dad. All she told me about their conversation was that he was concerned that I’m “meeting strange men on the internet”. …I don’t know where my dad wants me to meet strange men, or how he could possibly guess that Brett might be “strange”, but apparently that was the concern.

I don’t think he counts as a Secret Squirrel, because he did not hear it from me. So I’m calling him The Mole.

Meanwhile, I have continued to be in regular contact with Brett. We are getting to know each other quite well, I think.

After thinking about it for a while, and not hearing anything directly from my dad, I decided maybe the time had come to broach the subject (and encourage him to put down the axe). I emailed him to let him know that I had done my due diligence in looking into Brett’s character. I stated in no uncertain terms my opinion that it’s a plus that this started growing with no consideration of physical attraction. Then I called Dad out:

Also, it occurs to me that you and mom met by mail, through a friend of a friend as I recall...or was that a friend of a friend of a friend?... and is that really so different after all?

For real! They wrote letters for I don’t know – a year? More? – before meeting. How's that for irony? (or is it ironic...I'll have to check The Oatmeal.)

I think my email helped. After telling my dad about the whole “axe-murderer” theme, his response was to remind me of the variety of rifles and shotguns he has. Haha, Dad!

But he’s still not a Secret Squirrel.

It’s really funny to me, and I think to Brett too, how non-serious this is to people in the real world, because of the “met on the internet” part. And yet I know we both have readers who LOVE this stuff and are rooting for us. YOU, my blogging buddies, are the real Secret Squirrels. And as much as we are trying to keep things off the internet, to separate cyberspace from reality, trust me: you know the facts!

21 comments:

  1. Absolutely lovely post... So very tasteful and fulfilling. And we even get to see the flowers - what a perfect touch (they're beautiful)!

    The rooting is going on in a big way of course. Thank you for this little surge of joy...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bozo! That's the same picture I sent Brett after the flowers arrived, which he used in his post about his super-powers. (he didn't just pull a picture off the internet)

    You're Secret Cyber-Squirrel number one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness! How did I miss that! Now that you mention it I seem to remember the flowers on his post - not sure why the pic seemed new to me today. Anyway, presumably I was pleased to see them when he posted them too - so double the pleasure. I'm telling you, no memory really can be a good thing ;-)

      So pleased to be number one!

      Delete
    2. Probably because he directed attention to the butterfly, and didn't specify that the picture was actually the flowers I received. I'm telling you, he's sneaky!

      Delete
  3. The whole met on the Internet has been a put off for the people I have mentioned this to. Since we haven't actually met, they become uninterested very quickly.

    Since I am presently visiting the general area that you are moving to, I was telling my friends that I may start visiting the area more often. That peaked their interest, but when I told them why...they tried very hard to be polite, but I could see the smirks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I'd think they'd jump on the badwagon more readily, to get you out there! I can understand family who see you all the time being all, "yeah, right. Good luck with that." But your Indy friends will reap a direct benefit.

      That's okay. Neither one of us have anything to prove.

      Delete
  4. Their loss, but do I now have to cut out eye holes in my hat?

    I would love a trench coat though, but a fez would rock! Can I be Morocco Mole?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rusty, you can be whichever you want. Morocco Mole it is!

      (I assume by "their loss" you meean my family?)

      Delete
    2. "Fez's are cool"

      Delete
  5. Ahh, the plot thickens. Bringing other "real lifers" into your "fake" relationship definitely makes it more real. And don't worry about your dad . . . I think it's in the training manual to threaten all potential suitors of their daughters. Brett wil probably be ok. Maybe. Just in case, maybe he should look into getting a bullet proof vest. Or practice his bob and weave skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I get to know Brett, the more concerned I am that he and my dad would team up against me!

      My parents have actually started asking about Brett whenever I talk to them. Which is weekly.

      Delete
    2. It's always good to be loved.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I posted on here, but it seems to be gone. I'll see if I can remember what I said.

    I liked your post about your secret squirrels, but I love the pic of the squirrels with light sabors. Awesome!

    People are afraid of what they don't know. All you ever see is the horror stories of meeting online. There are a lot of great stories as well. I got all those worried looks when I told people my girlfriend (wife) was moving up here. Nobody thinks anything of it now.

    Once they meet Brett and see you two together, it'll become "real life" and they will forget all about the "cyber dating". Until then, don't worry about what other people are thinking. What you two think is what matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger has been weird lately with delays in posting comments.

      Squirrels seem to be trending lately. I couldn't believe all the tricked out pictures I found just searching "squirrels".

      And i'd love to read your story if you ever post it. at least in this case my whole reason behind my move is for my family, so I'm not perceived as some crazy-obsessed chick chasing after a guy she doesn't know!

      Delete
    2. I will have to do that sometime, I've been meaning to anyways.

      Delete
  8. This post brought genuine smiles to my face. This story is so darn adorable I kind of want to squish it's cheeks.
    I am happy to be one of your secret squirrels, but I think I would like a sonic screwdriver, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you said "sonic screwdriver" I thought of a beverage, and suddenly wondered if Sonic got a liquor license! Then I realized that probably has to do with Sonic the Hedgehog. haha.

      Delete
  9. Hee! I love it. And we are all rooting for you guys!

    I'm going to have to agree with Jeff, all you hear about are the bad things that happen. Surely there are infinitely more positive ones.

    I also think it probably depends on how in tune to the internet you are. Does your nurse friend blog? I can see how someone who doesn't spend much time interacting with people online might find it a bit strange, or not take it seriously, because they find it unfamiliar.

    Personally, I think it's awesome, and I'm happy to be one of the squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know of a few people who've been successful with online dating sites, but most people seem wary of sharing too much detail over the internet, so probably don't think it's possible.

      (I'm starting to wonder if Brett's family doesn't take us seriously because maybe he's constantly picking up chicks on the internet. He says not. The Secret Squirrels who know me well are behind us. Either way, we'll keep rolling!)

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.