04 April, 2012

The Movie Whore is Hungry For More Hunger Games

Before I say anything, I must confess I’ve not read this book.

I’ve heard good things about it, and almost bought it, but then remembered that it would be just one more thing to pack.

The Movie Whore stayed home sulking while I went out with The Nurse to see the movie on Monday. We met for Mexican and I told the whole story of e-e-everything leading up to my decision to move. (Oddly enough, she suggested that maybe there were "more fish in the sea" out in Indiana "If that’s what you’re looking for". ...why are people so concerned that I’m single? I just don’t get it. Anyway, I took her into my confidence, and informed her that I’ve already been talking to someone out that direction, who I met online. I did not provide details about my internet fiance and she didn’t ask. I think the whole "I met him online" thing sort of shut down her interest level.) 

Either way, we had a delightful dinner – mine included scallops, AGAIN, yea! – and wandered over to the cinema. Since we’d just eaten, we didn’t consider popcorn, so the Movie Whore wouldn’t have wanted to be there anyway. (She’s such a glutton.)

The Hunger Games was a thoroughly absorbing movie. I’d been warned that it is SO FAITHFUL to the book that some people don’t catch the nuanced details. It was also fun to see with The Nurse! I usually go to movies alone, but we actually had fun, made occcasional whispered comments to each other, and debated casting at the end. So, I guess it’s a good "date" movie. See it with someone.

I read a blog post recently – forgive me; I can’t remember whose, was it Mayor Gia, Crack You Whip, Pish Posh?...I visit so many, so randomly – and the writer of that post was definitively against a movie about kids killing kids. I disagree: I don’t think it was "about kids killing kids" as much as it was about adults manipulating every situation to achieve a desired outcome. I’ll be very interested to read the book and learn if they manipulated The. Exact. Outcome. ...which is kind of predictable, but not precisely. Some nice twists in there.

It reminded me of Survivor, but instead of being voted off – YOU DIE!

The characters were extremely defined. The Bad Guys were very obvious, and the Good Guys maintained their goodness throughout, so to me, I can see why it appeals to teens. ...that is the target demographic isn’t it?

~~~
There are movies that MUST be seen on the big screen, there are movies that can wait until DVD (which, I believe this is), but there are also movies that can be re-watched again and again. The Hunger Games is in the 3rd category, for me.

So yesterday I dragged the Movie Whore with me for a second viewing. She noted many things we’re now going to look for when we read the book. Boy, she was annoying with her questions that I couldn’t answer!

Movie Whore: Is there any particular significance to the song Katniss sings to Prim?
Me: I don’t know. They don’t tell us.

Movie Whore: What about that silent salute-thing?
Me: Dude! I know as much as you do! – they haven’t explained the symbolism!

Movie Whore: Hey – check it out: Gale’s name was entered 42 times – the Ultimate Answer!
Me: Now that is cool. The author must be a Douglas Adams fan. Sweet.

Movie Whore: I don’t get why they are "The Hunger Games". How does hunger enter into it?
Me: Seriously, can we just watch?

Movie Whore: That’s a cool Mockingjay pin. ...

...You know those are going to be the next most popular accessory. ...which is weird because it’s hardly in the movie at all. What’s up with that?
Me: Dude! I’m leaving you home next time! Shush!



Aaaand...Critique, or whatever...
  • The Movie Whore wants to dress as that whacked-out, extremely pink character for Halloween. (We didn’t catch her name.)
  • Am I crazy, or do all the "peacekeepers" marching in perfect step, corraling all the people, reflect back to George Lucas‘ stormtroopers? Bad guys, dressed all in white. Yep.
  • Donald Sutherland. Let’s take a moment in awe of his diversity. His portrayal of the President makes me want to go watch Kelly’s Heroes to see his fun side again. The Movie Whore recognized his voice early on, but we did not know he was in this. Oh...he is. He is indeed. Manipulative devil!
  • And while we’re on the cast, how about the chick playing the lead? Jennifer Lawrence. She was very soulful. That’s the only way I can put it. You really believe her terror. Her tortured sobs. Her sisterly affection. She makes you see Katniss and say, "Wow. She’s got it tough – *I* wouldn’t want to be her!" even while you believe she’s good at living that way.
  • Woody Harrelson was good too. I haven’t seen a lot of his movies, but I liked him in this.
  • And Lenny Kravitz! I knew I recognized the sexy Cinnah, but didn’t know from where until I saw the credits. The Movie Whore didn’t know he could act. I still say we don’t know if he can act, because he really didn’t have to do much but be himself.
Finally, OSCAR PREDICTIONS:

This movie will be a contender for its score, and for costumes/make-up, if nothing else. And maybe sound. Whoever was in the editing room did a good job of swelling the music to drown all conversation, to show when a character was so overcome they couldn’t hear what was going on around them.

...The Movie Whore has been whispering to my inner Bibliophile, trying to convince her we need the books. The movie Whore wants to know what happens next...and what happened in the past that led to The Hunger Games in the first place. But my inner Bibliophile has enough books on her plate right now. She needs to be more disciplined and not get distracted by this new series.


A theatrical "Reason to Celebrate" (thank you Cranky&Difficult):
Robert Downey Jr.‘s birthday! I think we should not have a drink in his honor though, because isn’t he trying to live clean and sober these days? Let’s toast him with Grape Fanta or Ginger Ale or something.

22 comments:

  1. Ugh. I am boycotting Hunger Games and the books. She totally ripped off Battle Royale. If she would just admit that HG is an homage to Battle Royale, then I'd be okay with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... You're not the first to mention this Battle Royale thing. I've not read that, either. I will have to read both books. Maybe I'll read Battle Royale first.

      Then I could read Hunger Games, and do a book comparison!

      Delete
    2. I am a fan of Battle Royale, it was shot really well and is very entertaining, but it is not the first of the "people killing for survival and television" genre. It is not that much of a stretch to go from "Survivor" via "Lord of the Flies" to come up with the same idea independently and the tone of the two books is different. Battle Royale is a gore fest for adults while Hunger Games is aimed at the teen market.

      And if the author isn't into international cinema, she is even less likely to have seen the movie.

      Delete
    3. I'm now detemined to read Battle Royale first. But The Nurse just informs me she's game for another viewing. It's not impossible I'll have seen the movie multiple times before I read either book.

      I was told that Hunger Games can be read in one day. I hope the same is true for Battle Royale: time is of the essence for me right now.

      Delete
    4. I haven't read the book yet either, but I really liked it. It's refreshing to see a strong female role model in a movie for the younger folks :)

      I thought this Thought Catalog article was funny...
      http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/an-imagined-girls-night-conversation-between-katniss-everdeen-hermione-granger-bella-swan-and-buffy-summers/

      Delete
  2. I wish I were more tuned in with movies to be able to respond to your Movie Whore posts! I'm so stuck in the old days when it comes to films (and a few other things too I guess) although I've seen a couple of newish ones. The most recent one I've seen was The King's Speech and I loved it.

    Do you like Princess Bride? And what did you think of Dancing with Wolves? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH! Thank you, Bozo - maybe the Movie Whore should get vocal about some of our favorites. Since I'm without TV at the moment, my visual entertainment is all DVD-based.

      Yes, I know Princess Bride like that back of my hand. In the original Facebook, with all those quiz-apps, I rocked on the Princess Bride one. I enjoyed Dances with Wolves, but don't own it, so I don't know it as well. I do own the soundtrack. That has some coolness in it.

      I'll have to do something about Breakfast at Tiffany's or Bridge on the River Kwai. Or actually, any special requests?

      Delete
    2. I adore Princess Bride... what a classic! I enjoyed Dances with Wolves too, but more because I thought it was fairly ridiculous. Of course I was a teenager at the time so my perspective was a little weird. I just remember laughing to think that Kevin Costner wrote the script and gave himself all these cool sounding lines. We laughed for ages over it lol... I think that even now I would find some of the lines silly. Also, could never understand how the white lady who grew up with the Indians had layered hair.

      I would love to suggest a couple of movies for you to post about! Let me think about it and then I'll get back to you. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Whenever a movie comes out that's based on a book, I always feel compelled to get the book first before I go see the film. Is that weird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's normal. The first movie I consciously saw before reading the book was Hunt For Red October. I loved the movie. I read the book. I loved it. The timeline was squashed in the movie, which changed things.

      As long as you keep in mind that there are different requirements for each medium, if the movie is well done it should stand on its own.

      Delete
  4. This is one that I want to see, but think I will try to read the book before it comes out. I have to see what the hype is all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had the luxury of time, i'd probably have done the same. Now I think I'll see if my library has Battle Royale, since I'm sure any copies of Hunger Games are checked out.

      Delete
  5. I would prefer to read the books, they always seem to be better than the movie
    anyway, i love your blog! definately following!
    f-a-i-r-y-l-i-g-h-t-s.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely hitting the library tonight to check out Battle Royale, since everyone's comparing the two. Hopefully it's a quick read!

      Delete
  6. I for one am FOR kids killing other kids. We need to thin out the herd, and why not make them do it for us?

    Kidding aside, I've wanted to see the movie and to read the books, which I hear are good. The Twilight fad - terrible. But this, well, this I can get on board with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! We needed someone to say that!

      And yeah, sparkling vampires is just ...wrong.

      Delete
  7. I am absolutely a read the book then see the movie person. BUT, for anyone reading this . . . see The Hunger Games movie FIRST. I read the book and really enjoyed it, but did not enjoy the movie as much because there was more in the book that really fleshed out the characters and her inner dialogue explained a lot of the history and emotions and turmoil that was missing in the movie. That being said, the movie is good and enjoyable and I believe if you didn't have the book to compare to, you would enjoy it more. I did not enjoy it as much as I think I would have going in blind. That is my PSA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know enough about film that I can usually appreciate both book and movie as separate and therefore different tellings of the same story.

      I'm really glad to get the affirmation that I didn't shoot myself by doing it in this order, though!

      Delete
  8. I think it depends on the the movies. I saw the first two Harry Potter movies before ever reading the books and was not disappointed at all.
    I agree that each has it's own purpose and should stand apart from each other as well as coming together nicely.
    I get frustrated when people criticize authors for writing something similar to something else. I don't think a writer has to acknowledge that the idea came from a specific place because most of us can't pinpoint the exact moment a character comes to life in our heads.
    I read a teen series that has parts of a lot of teen fiction right now. I don't read it because it's like this or like that, I read it because the characters are compelling and I enjoy the story arc. There's that whole line about there not being any original thought left. Think of how many stories can be linked back to Romeo and Juliet, Emma, Dangerous Liaisons. Nobody freaks out over that. It's just strange to me.
    Okay, I have now stepped off my soap box.
    I am so excited to see The Hunger Games. I have not read the books yet, but the first one is on my Kindle and ready for me when I finish the series I am currently reading.
    Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Movies that are well-done and follow the book they are based on faithfully can usually stand alone. (as long as you realize stuff has to be left out.) The Harry Potter series is one like that. So is LOTR.

      I'm told that Hunger Games follows the book faithfully, so it should not be a disappointment!

      Delete
  9. I love Donald Sutherland. Effie is the lady in purple and we have all the books if you still need to read them.
    I am one of the few that did not jump on the band-wagon that is the Hunger Games (1 was ok, 2 eh, and 3 awful) May have liked them better if I had watched the movie first. The books explain the entry system, and the name, also the pin which is totally different from the movie.

    Hestia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, a few of my Nook-friends have it the series on their nooks. I read the first one now, but will probably borrow an e-version of the others. When I get to it.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.