13 April, 2012

We Pre-empt the Movie Whore to Bring You Fun!


…and ASPARAGUS!
Wait-wait! Don’t go away! I had a Movie Whore post all ready to go, but the local orchard’s little stand re-opened for the spring, and when I stopped in, I picked up a sheet labeled:

“Asparagus Fun Facts”

I brought it in to work, and read these facts out loud to Sweetie, so that we could determine how “fun” they really are. It is my gift to you!

  1. Asparagus is a member of the Lily family.   okay, that’s kind of fun. Something new and interesting, anyway.
  2. Asparagus spears grow from a crown that is planted about a foot deep in sandy soils. yeah, not fun.
  3. It takes 2 years before the plant is ready to be harvested for the first time. meh…
  4. The fields are harvested every spring thereafter and will continue to produce for 15 to 20 years. I actually think that kind of qualifies as “fun” – I mean 20 years, isn’t that kind of unique?
  5. Under ideal conditions, an asparagus spear can grow 10” in a 24-hour period. WHOA! You could actually watch asparagus grow? That is fun to know.
  6. Each crown will send spears up for about 6-7 weeks during the spring and early summer. not so fun.
  7. An asparagus planted is usually not harvested for the first 3 years after the crowns are planted allowing the crown to develop a strong fibrous root system. Dude. You’re losing me. Totally not a fun fact at all.
  8. The larger the diameter, the better the quality. BAHahahahahahahahah! Did they really say that? I know that’s what I’M looking for in MY asparagus! HILARIOUSLY fun fact! Hahahaha!! (re-read it for another chuckle.)
  9. Asparagus is a nutrient-dense food which is high in Folic Acid and is a good source of potassium, fiber, vitamin B6, vitamins A & C, and thiamin. Wow. If you actually read that whole sentence without drifting off, you are better than I. Boring fact. Not fun at all. 
  10. Asparagus has no fat, no cholesterol, and is low in sodium. okay, that’s only fun for me because I have to eat light for the next couple months for a wedding.
Aren’t you glad I shared that with you? My own “fun fact” – I always refer to asparagus as Spargel in my head. That’s its German name, and it’s shorter. Fun, huh?

Today’s reason to celebrate (do I really need to say it?):
It’s Friday the 13th! I love it; I don’t know why. It’s just “FUN”! Although I do have a friend with Triskaidekaphobia, so I always wonder how she copes. Have a fantastic weekend, all!

25 comments:

  1. And here I thought its only superpower was to make my pee smell funny...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read somewhere that it only affects a small percentage of the population that way... but everyone I know talks about it. The unaffected population must be non-asparagus eaters!

      Delete
    2. Spargel is WAY more fun to say. And kind of sounds like the smell, if that's even possible...

      Delete
    3. I love it! Scent-oriented onomatopoeia!

      Delete
  2. I never ate asparagus as a kid. Maybe my parents didn't like it. The first time I remember eating it was just a few years ago.

    I don't know how 'fun' those facts were, but I didn't know any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandma used to make "creamed asparagus" that we would put on toast, so I was introduced to it as a young kid.

      Delete
  3. I do eat most things, but sparge is something I just cannot do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love it. This is my favorite time of year...

      Oh snap! I have my answer to one of Brett's questions!

      Delete
    2. Glad I can be unintentionally of service.

      I think...

      Delete
  4. Blech! Ok, sorry. I just can't stand the stuff. The hubs loves it, so I occasionally buy it for him, but it is also super expensive, so that is rare. I can't stand the smell of it when he cooks it (that's right, HE, I won't cook it. That and mushrooms, which he also loves).

    Couldn't you have posted about Fun Facts for Strawberries? Or for Peaches? Or even Brussels Sprouts?

    I guess if I can still love the hubs after his wayward tastes, then WE can still be friends. I'm a giver that way! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Fifer's will put out a Fun Fact list for each of those as the season rolls around, but unfortunately I'll be in the corn-belt by then. Maybe I can post fun facts about corn!

      Blech - you can keep your Brussels Sprouts! ...and I'll still be friends with you!

      Delete
    2. Corn is loads of fun. That's why Midwesterners are so happy. We are surrounded by it.

      Delete
    3. Quick fun-fact about corn: Every ear has an even number of rows of kernels. TRUE! (I've double-checked every ear I've ever eaten for my entire life. It NEVER fails.)

      Delete
    4. Best fun fact about corn is if you forget to check when eating there is always afterwards!!!! LOL

      Delete
  5. I thought the bit about all the vitamins was was definitely a fun fact. I enjoyed the whole list! Just the other day my friend was talking about asparagus growing in her yard in CA... it was the first I had ever heard how it grows. Now I know more.

    ABFTS's comment is very enlightening too.

    I've only had asparagus a few times - I remember liking it fine - but maybe not loving it. One vegetable in the States that I'm hugely impressed by is spaghetti squash......... it's just so neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then, you are a better woman than I! Glad you liked the list.

      And yes, ABFTS is correct, for most people, they can "tell by the smell" later. haha. ...like coffee, if you drink enough.

      I love asparagus. Blanched asparagus is a better munchie than celery sticks, but only for a short while in the spring.

      Delete
    2. I've only become vitamin conscious since I've started dieting. I'm trying to make sure I get enough of everything. It's not so easy! If I could get my hands on some asparagus right now I would be thrilled.

      Lol, I didn't know that about coffee either!

      Delete
    3. I think you'll really get a kick out of my next Movie Whore post, by the way.

      Delete
    4. I'm looking forward to it :)and sort of curious which movie it will be about.

      I tried to watch Fried Green Tomatoes and Bridget Jones' Diary today but couldn't get them. Ended up watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding all over again... not sure how many more times I can watch it!

      Ok, I'm off to bed :) have a nice day!

      Delete
  6. Ah, I love the I can't eat becasue I have to be in/go to a wedding and I have look good becasue people will take lots of pictures of me and they will live on Facebook forever. I have one word for you- Corset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would jump on the corset bandwagon in a heartbeat. Where does one buy one these days?

      Delete
  7. oh wow, careful you dont expolde from excitement!
    but seriosuly, think about it. you know number 5? who the hell worked that one out? i bet they had SO much fun telling everyone about their discovery! ooh, someone has a life (Y)
    and as for number 8, well, everyone should know that! -evil chuckle- why are we so immature?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...Sweetie (a coworker) and I laughed so loud at that one! I was half-expecting a "that's what she said" type comment.

      People are keeping it very clean.

      Delete
  8. Spargel? Okay, I can agree that's fun to say. But it sounds like something you should call a dog, not something you eat.

    "Come here Spargel! Come here boy!" (or girl?)

    So I am making my way through this week's posts, and I swear your captcha is getting more difficult with each comment I leave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH! I didn't know I had Captcha on!

      (Does it change if I tell you Spargel is pronounced "Shpargel"?)

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.