19 April, 2012

Senioritis of Good-byes

Somehow everything strikes me funny these days. I think it’s Senioritis. Do you remember Senioritis? That senior year of high school that you’re just chomping at the bit to get on with your life – whatever that might be?

…that was both awesome and annoying. Awesome because of the anticipation of good stuff to come and annoying because – for me at least – I am not a patient person by nature. God’s working on it.

Yeah. I have senioritis bad right now. (If you’re new here, I’m moving in…less than 2 weeks! This post is when I announced it officially, But there’s more here, here, here, …you get the idea. There are more.)

The Officemate and I are howling with laughter all the time lately at random calls that come in, at stuff she or I see on the internet, at facebook. At stuff from SomeEcards. At the idea of drinking our lunch…which we won’t, but when I walked in today and said “how are you?” her reply was “pissed off” if that tells you how stressed she is at the moment.

And then there was this:
Prunes? Again, I ask you, who shares stuff like this?
What do I share? Candy. Always candy.

I keep reminding the Officemate, and Sweetie, and Snarky (have I mentioned her?) that my cell phone number won’t change so they can still send me their “What Would Red Say” questions, or funny things the Officemate sees online that I probably miss because I couldn’t care less about pop culture.

Yeah, things are getting goofy. I haven’t cleaned out my email inbox in days. Most of it doesn’t require a response, or is about stuff happening after I leave anyway, so what’s the point?

~~~
On a side note, the Officemate and a higher-up are at this moment discussing someone’s recent pregnancy announcement, and related issues like fertility, and deciding to conceive. Seriously? I don’t need to know how you came to decide whether or not to bring another human into the world, or how difficult or not it was to conceive! Have some discretion, dude!
~~~

How long until the move? Brett reminded me the actual number of days a couple days ago, so I know that it is…wait...11 days to “wheels on the road”. However, my last day at work is just one week from tomorrow! So which do I count when people ask how much longer?

I am counting “good-bye events”.
There have already been several. Here’s what’s left:

7.Tomorrow: Baltimore (First, a “hello” lunch with Misty of Misty’s Laws. Nice.) Then dinner at a restaurant north of the city. I’ll blow the afternoon at the Inner Harbor. Or IKEA. Whichever. Oh! Maybe a Movie! (shut up, Movie Whore, this is not about you!)

6.Friday: My “Help Me Drain My Liquor Cabinet" Party – I have no idea who all will show up or not. I think some people are afraid. I do have my reputation to ruin consider!

5.Saturday: Meeting friends from my PA days in D.C. Yea! The Smithsonian! And probably an Indian dinner at a delightful South-Indian restaurant with an old friend from Jr. High (which was in India).

4.Sunday: A cookout at a friend’s house – she usually has dinner parties, and the dinner party crowd will be there. It’ll be nice.

3.Thursday I’m not supposed to know about, but they’re doing something for me at work.

2.Friday: Another trip to the Symphony with Aphrodite. Holst’s The Planets.

1.Sunday: A reception at my church …which will end when I put the pedal to the metal and get the heck out of Dodge! (how’s that for a mixed metaphor?)

So I am 7 good-byes away from departure. You probably won’t see me here tomorrow, because I'll be off taking care of one of the good-byes and my first "Hello", but feel free to read some of the archives!

UPDATE: I just got an email from the handbell director at my church and they are going to have a send-off for me at the next rehearsal on Tuesday. My countdown? 8 good-byes until departure!

Something to Celebrate today? The birthday of Lucrezia Borgia! (in 1480) Ooohh…the Borgias. The poisoning, murderous Borgias. Sweet. So let’s toast some dark drink (un-poisoned) to the merry poisoner! (Thanks again, as ever, Cranky&Difficult. What would I do without you?)

23 comments:

  1. Have a great time saying hello to Misty! I hope I get to meet one or two (or more) blogging friends sometime. That would be so neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we'll all have a party out by you...you know that! I have a friend from Jr. High in Bangalore, who I'm still in touch with. I could do a tour!

      Delete
  2. Free prunes? That's like a free kick in the shin! Unless you're really hungry, I suppose.

    Moving is an exciting time, though! Keep us up to date on the process... there's always lots of trials and tribulations involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I don't mind prunes, but it's just...weird. Who shares that? It's kind of a personal choice to eat prunes or not.

      I keep holding back on writing about moving, because all my stories seem to be only interesting to me. Maybe I'll post some.

      Delete
    2. That is not so. I am very interested in your move and have been following it very closely.

      Delete
  3. If you're going to eat prunes, they might as well be free.

    My boss' wife once brought in raw unsalted peanuts for everyone. They were green and chewy and no one liked them. She was insulted that no one ate them. Who does that?

    If you want us to eat your treats, then bring something we would actually eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And YAY!!!

      You turned your CAPTCHA off.

      Delete
    2. Hence, I bring in candy! Or occasionally cookies. And some other dessert to any meal event. I'm good with sweet stuff.

      Delete
  4. I want to come help you drain the last of your liquor cabinet. Except I can't drink hard liquor any more, and I live a bit too far away, and you have never met me and I might be an axe murderer, and I will probably be at work that day, but other then that, I would totally come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been decided that she can see past the possibilities of axe-murderer bloggers.

      Delete
    2. Ah, but Brett - maybe you haven't been following Queen Holly's adventures: she has a chainsaw and knows how to use it. AND she has a backhoe named King, who does her bidding, so she could cut me into bits and dig a hole to bury me in!

      Delete
    3. Holly, I wish I could share this with all my fellow bloggers! It's all hard liquor though, that I need to get rid of. I'll have a pitcher of margaritas ready to go, and anyone can bring mixers they like to go with the rest.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good week! I haven't been to Baltimore in years, but just hearing you mention it makes me want blue crabs. Which sounds gross, actually. Never mind! Have fun and tell us all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue crabs gross? Never!! Take it back immediately! Next thing you'll say is that Old Bay sounds disgusting. Blasphemy!!

      Delete
    2. Mmm...Old Bay...on almost anything!

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to our hello!! See you tomorrow.

    And it's supposed to be a lovely day. You should totally spend it at the harbor. You don't wanna go to IKEA. What if you buy more stuff? You would only have to pack it. Not a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I'm flexible. Nice day, I'll find something entertaining!
      Good times.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Oh, they have!

      And actually I need to go in and update. The cookout Sunday is cancelled. She forgot she signed up for something else that day, and do I have another night that works? Um, no! I have to pack! Sorry! I'm getting kind of cold the closer I am to departing.

      Delete
  8. Red, just wanted to let you know you have been tagged in my most recent post, I know that you are very busy....stop by when you get the chance.

    Another reason to party this week? Its my birthday week!!! You are departing on my bday!!!!

    I know that I will write again before then but, if not hope you have safe journeys....

    "We don't say Good-bye...we say Good Journey." (there Movie Whore....there)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll get over there and check it out as soon as I can.
      Happy Birthday if I forget to say it later! - If it's the day I'm on the road, I can guarantee I won't say so ON the day.

      Delete
  9. Your too popular. If I moved, my family would say goodbye, that would be it. Guess I'm too of an ass to have good friends.

    As far as the prunes, yeah, I'd pass on those too. We have a community candy dish that we hide in the lab so there are only about 8-10 of us that eat out of it. We take turns buying for it when it gets empty. Pretty sure if I brought prunes in, nobody would be touching them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people just like farewells. I have a lot of friends, but maybe 3 really good friends. I really don't go out this much. I'm painting a picture of myself as a social butterfly, when really I debate with myself for a half an hour before going to most social occasions!

      I always keep a candy dish on my desk at work. But that gets filled with wrapped candy because most of the people who dig in work outside with their hands, and ...well obviously...

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.