08 May, 2017

Starting Over

"If you can't be a good example, you'll have to be a horrible warning!"  
~ attributed to many different people, usually women. Take your pick.

If there is one thing that people can - and do, apparently - learn from me, it's that it's never too late to start over. Typically, my reset button has entailed lengthy moves, and new jobs, but that's not needed for everyone.

Since college, friends have told me how they admire my strength and independence. Part of that happened because I had no choice. If you don't have others to rely on, you simply must rely on yourself. And you CAN do it.

I hope that the younger generations within my family recognize that in me. If you find yourself in a place you didn't expect and don't appreciate, change it!

It's not always easy, and it may require sacrifice. It's a choice. How much is your happiness worth? 

Maybe relocating or changing jobs is not for you. There are many reasons this may be so. If that's the case, but you are not happy with the way things are, find something that you can improve, and DO IT! One particular mother whose blog I follow makes a point to get up extra early so that she can get in exercise and personal time before her husband leaves for work.

It's a sacrifice of sleep, for the benefit of self-care.

A newly divorced person I know took great care to make her new home exactly what she wanted. It is a charming place full of the art and books she loves, done in colors that appeal to her. She hadn't found the perfect dining set yet, so she's waiting for the right piece that makes her happy. Her new home is happier than her old one, because, although divorce is difficult and often sad, she embraced the change and made it work for her... and for her family.

Starting over happens in many ways, and I truly hope that anyone who observes my life can glean some strength about this. What legacy do you hope to leave behind?

Today's prompt was about what you hope people learn from your life.

5 comments:

  1. I don't like change. I can admit that. I have no desire to relocate or change jobs, but then again, I've traveled all over the world and this is still the place I'd want to live above all others, and I love doing what I do. If I was unhappy, though, I would do something about it. I don't believe in being 'stuck' just because changing would be uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the key: finding where and what you love. Lucky you!
      Relocating is a pain, but sometimes necessary.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a change person. The biggest change in my life was forced on me by the death of my husband. And I still am learning to live with it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually fairly good at big, giant, dramatic changes. Like relocating or career changes. It's the little things that throw me for a loop, like when my car breaks down or I have to change my schedule for just a week.

      Delete
    2. Those things throw me for a loop too!!

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.