10 February, 2017

Hard to Believe I'm Safe! Five Minute Friday

Today I am once again participating in Five-Minute Friday. On these posts, I follow the one-word prompt from Kate at Heading Home.  
 
If you want to join, click that link to her blog. Every Friday is a new word, and the only rules are:  Write for 5 minutes.  Link your post on hers.  (You have a whole week to get your post up.)
 
  

It's pretty cool, and I find a new blog every week. (I'm getting better at revisiting them, too.)

This week's one-word is "Safe".
 
Timer starting...



I typically write about these word-prompts as they relate to my life here in Beijing. But as it happens this fits my devotional study. I am reading in the book of Exodus, and recently passed the point where the Israelites were given manna in the desert. They were only allowed to collect enough for each day (except the sabbath). That's it.

They were safe.
God was providing, each and every day.
He promised.

And if they kept too much overnight, it got maggots. Just to PROVE He would provide the next day and they could rely on him. When God's got your back, you are safe, if you rely on him.

As I read this familiar story, I couldn't help but wonder how I would do in that situation. How many bowls of maggoty manna would I find in the morning before I realized my food supply was safer in the hands of the Almighty? 

My guess is, a lot. 
I like to plan. 
I like to know I have my food MORE than the morning that I intend to eat it...and what if I'm hungrier than usual one day? I need extra!

Trust that I am safe? That my food supply is safe? That my income is safe? That all are provided and waiting for me?
Whew. That's a tall order.

Done.

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you! I like to think I would have trusted in God to bring the bread, but more than likely, I'd probably wake up to maggots. It can be so hard to trust in the unseen, when what is seen is so tangible. But I'm learning to trust in Him, the everlasting King, releasing my grip from this fleeting world. Thanks so much for sharing! I really enjoyed and related to your writing.
    Visiting from #FMF <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy! It's a lesson I think I'll be learning my whole life. I always think I've got a handle on it, until something unexpected happens and I have to relearn!

      Delete
  2. I'm the child of depression era parents and inherited a stocking up tendency. There is so much waste when you stock up. I threw out about 8 bottles of ketchup my mom got a good deal on a long time ago. We waste so much space in the house with clutter. So, this part of your devotion makes a lot of sense to me. My dad always said the Bible was a book of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah. I hate for anything to run completely out. I always buy a backup when it gets low.
      For the first year of our marriage, we never ran out of condiments, because we combined two households with the same mindset!

      Delete
  3. I am finding it so hard to trust in these things too. I am a planner too and I like to be stocked I don't like the idea of running out of anything. Sometimes I find reading the Bible hard too. But there is so much to learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I downloaded a Bible app for portability, but the nice thing is that now I get a daily reminder to read. I've gotten much better about reading the Bible since then!

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.