11 June, 2019

To Air is Human

It's 100° every day this week.

I've acclimated to the tropics very well in the past year. I wear loose dresses (no tight waistline); I get up with the sun to take advantage of the morning cool; I open up the house while it's cool - all doors and windows except the bedroom where Brett still lies sleeping; if a trip to the open air market is needed, I have even been known to walk there (5 minutes) in the 90° 7:00 temps while he decides to awaken. (If he's up, we'll take the motorbike.)

The house is not air conditioned. That is wildly impractical here, and would be a huge expense. But the ceilings are high, we have fans, and with the cross-breeze, it's not too bad. Mostly.

Each bedroom has an a.c. That means our bedroom, Brett's office, and the guest room / my office all have the possibility of being cold. In fact, I need two blankets to sleep, because I married a human radiator who cranks that thing down to 18.

I typically do not use it in my office. Now that I'm teaching online, I do turn it on three times a week for a few hours each time. 

I'm HAPPY to be functional in the open, hot air!

Today, after two days of this heat and with a full week of it on tap, I am contemplating using climate control during the day, in the hopes that it will perk me up for some quality editing time. Maybe the heat is sapping my energy?

To Air, or not to Air? That is the question.

8 comments:

  1. You know my philosophy. I don't even fight it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always kept it freezing in the summer, roasting in the winter. How did we ever get together???

      Delete
  2. I melt in the heat. Hearing a/c is impractical, I withered in imagined pain. At least you have room ones. I currently have a fan blowing on me, even though it's exacerbating a cough, and it's only 80 (inside--something like 85 outside).

    I'm firmly on the side of air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to do a follow up and show how very open the house is. In the US, definitely A.C. was a must, but with doors and windows open, the breeze just blows through, and since inside the house is nice and shady, it's not bad!

      Delete
  3. Heat saps my energy, makes me hold fluid, and makes it harder for me to breath. A/C is a must for me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it saps my energy too. Since living here though, I'm okay in the "normal" heat. These 37C days get tiring. Getting up early and napping at noon helps.

      Delete
  4. I really dislike being hot and sticky... but I also don't have any air conditioners in my house. Lots of window fans and a corner bedroom with a cross breeze save me. I'm ok *most* nights, so I kind of know what you mean.
    On the other hand, if my office didn't have a/c, I would be one unproductive woman. So I say, if you want to get something done, air away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally did, yesterday. I think the years I lived in Delaware in a tiny cottage with no a.c. AT ALL helped prepare me for this situation. But I mean, not quite a tropical heat there!

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.