13 February, 2020

Not A Real Post

This isn't a real post. It's nothing.

It occurred to me as I poured my second vodka-tonic of the afternoon, that after my last six months - nephew's suicide, sister unexpectedly dropping dead, and... well, that's enough, I think! - I'm entitled to a little self-medication. Bring on the booze!

Aside from that (I wasn't exactly a teetotaler before), I'm emerging from the fog... exactly one month from the day my sister died. Dropped dead. I like that phrase, because it's true. And it conveys the surprise that accompanied her death.

After a month of numb, I feel like rejoining the blogosphere. 
I might revamp my blog though. Give it a focus. 
Personal bull-crap only takes me so far. 

Especially when the grim reaper takes over.
Two days ago, Brett was teaching and sent me a message from his office to check in with his brother. He'd received a message from someone who was an undertaker in the town they grew up in. My heart was in my throat. Dear God, NO! Brett's brother said nothing was up that he knew of, and that that guy who used to be an undertaker, was now a banker. Turns out, he just wanted to ask about the Coronavirus from someone in the region. (We're fine.)

The grim reaper is hovering over my life now, just laughing. 
I FLIP YOU THE VIRTUAL BIRD, YOU BASTARD!

Seriously though, I've finally reached out to my remaining family members, just checking in. I've decided to start writing letters. Not real letters, because I no longer trust international postal services, but through email. At least to my mom. So I reached out to her.

I reached out to my brother to see how he's doing as the eldest sibling.

I reached out to my living sister, who's not too chatty. I wonder how she's doing, because she's the one who has a son the same age as my nephew who took his own life last fall. Our sister's death weighed on her, as she took on the "big sister" mantle and rushed out to Michigan to help as soon as she heard.

I reached out to my niece, who just lost her mother, and is going bridal shopping this coming weekend. The heart just breaks. (My living sister was already going to help with dress-shopping. She has awesome fashion sense.)

Last week, I actually had quite a healing conversation unexpectedly. Brett and I were out and ran into another friend. I was able to simply talk about what happened and the events of our week in the US, and how it affected me and the others I saw. It was good. I need to write that stuff down.

In fact, I think I'll go find a spot to sit and write about it.
Told you this post was nothing.

8 comments:

  1. This post let us know you're healing.
    That's not nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have death in the family stress. But my job stress has been pretty significant the last couple years. It kinda shut me down. I can understand, perhaps slightly what you're going through. And I also know that sometimes conversations happen at times that you least expect that help you cope for a little while. Sorry for your loss. I think the reaching out is a good thing. Maybe the vodka too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Every day is a little better. Obviously my "I'm ready to get back into the blogosphere" was a premature statement. So many other things grab my attention!

      Delete
  3. Sometimes you do just need to ramble. Especially now. Someone dropping dead out of nowhere is a shock. It doesn't matter the why. Even when someone is ill, the ultimate passing can still hit you hard. And you've had two sudden deaths relatively close together. That you're still writing coherent sentences is a marvel.

    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I should be proud of my coherency! I have to say, being so far removed from the reminders from her life, living in a distant country, seems to be a good thing.

      Delete
  4. Death is a shock even when you know it is coming. Take your time and grieve the way you want to grieve. It helped me some to write about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Mostly, I'm fine, random moments hit hard, but overall, I know she's better now.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.