20 March, 2021

Writing for Fun

This is just a short post to announce that I'll be doing the #AtoZChallenge again this year! 


 

Giving that statement an exclamation point seems self-aggrandizing as if people were waiting for this announcement, but I don't care. I'm excited and I'll explain why.

About a month ago, I decided (in my wishy-washy, pre-decision way) to do A to Z, and asked Brett if he felt like doing it. He decided he would, and started looking back into old posts and deciding what he wanted to do. 

In 2019, I used the theme of Flash Fiction, and followed reader prompts to write a new flash story each day. I haven't written a word since finishing my gigantic opus in January, and thought flash fiction would be a good way to get back into writing. Brett thought that sounded fun, so he'll do flash fiction too. For a minute, I suggested we might even follow the same list of prompts this year, just to see what different ways our minds work, but that quickly assumed the role of "bad idea" for multiple reasons.

He will choose a genre based on each letter of the alphabet, and has spent time researching genres and sub-genres to determine how to fit them all into the alphabet.

While he was researching genres, and writing and sharing his "theme-reveal" post, I fiddled around with games on my phone, read books, and generally became even more of a slug than I already was. I vacillated between "participate in #AtoZ" and "do nothing and continue into eternal slugdom."

As I vaguely recall, there were some stories that came up the last time I did flash fiction which could be extended, or have a second chapter. Since I barely blog anymore, I thought second installments might be a good start until any readers offer suggestions. So this week, I finally went back and read my #AtoZ posts from 2019.

And I want to write again.

That month was fun!

I can really write! (And I have two un-used prompts remaining, to help me start.)

Reading those posts (such as... this, or this, or this...) reminds me that I am a good storyteller and I just need to get back into it. As I am going through old posts, I realize that I stopped with the "Fiction Friday" posts after my sister's death a year ago. I got back into writing, but the flash fiction never came back.

So I'm bringing back the FLASH FICTION! That gets ALL CAPS and an exclamation point. 

From me.

I hope you will enjoy it, too. I definitely hope there will be participation like last year. I'm reducing my workload in April so that I'll have more time to write and visit blogs. (I've also uninstalled the distracting games from my phone to keep my inner slug away.)

19 comments:

  1. Good luck to you and Brett! I'm out this year, too much real life and busy working on my next series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I keep telling people I intend to be published by the end of the year, but that requires doing something!

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you pop up again. Phone games are good to keep the brain occupied, but when that's all one's doing... Good luck with A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have uninstalled the nonsense games. I now have Sudoku and crosswords, and that is IT for games on my phone!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I should start practicing now, if I'm smart!

      Delete
  4. Looks like April will be a busy month now I have added your flash fiction to the list. Are you writing before it begins? I have to as there are two significant birthdays, Easter and two trips away that month.see you then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may work up a couple sequels from the 2019 AtoZ flash fiction, just to get started, but my intention is to write a fresh story each day.

      Delete
  5. I always think people writing flash fiction as you go in A to Z are brave! I like reading FF though, so look forward to your month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was scary when I did it the first time! It went so well, though, that I thought it would be a good way to get back into it.

      Delete
  6. Look forward to reading your stories. Good luck!
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2021/03/08/a-z-challenge-2021-theme-reveal/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to checking out your novels! I have trouble commenting in WordPress, however, due to a defunct old blog I have. Is it possible to comment anonymously?

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Hi Keith! I visited your blog yesterday, but cannot leave a comment. I have issues with Wordpress connected to a different shared blog I partake in. Is it possible to comment anonymously?

      Delete
    2. I see no reason why commenting anonymously shouldn't work. Not sure what the issue is with normal comments, a lot of my 'commentees' still use Blogger. Anyway, thanks for visiting me.

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to your flash fiction stories. Sudoku is my go-to game each morning to check how well my brain is working!
    https://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sudoku is still on my phone. It's a good brain game, without being a time suck!

      Delete
  9. This is exactly what the challenge is all about: getting us excited abotu writing and about sharing :-)
    Have a great April!

    @JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter - Theme Reveal - The Great War

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.