21 February, 2023

Try Anything Tuesday

Hey there, happy people!

I tried a new thing today. Have you heard of Reiki? It's a Japanese energy healing technique. I just so happen to have a friend here who is a Reiki practitioner. I've known her for a couple years but it never really appealed to my logical brain.

Then this fall, I did something to my shoulder - slept wrong? I don't know. For a while it was distractingly painful, but not debilitating. Then, throughout the rainy season the pain would come and go. It hasn't been as bad for a while, but I can't sleep on my left side.

It turns out, a friend of mine back in the US goes to reiki regularly. (I don't know the verbs. "does" reiki? "Has reiki done to her"?) She sent me an article about how it has been used with some success to treat pain and trauma. Bingo.

So today, I had my first reiki session. Afterward I was told to pay attention to how I feel over the next few days, starting with today. Here's what I wrote today about the session:

Took my brain a while to relax. "Am I doing this right? Where should my hands be? What do other people do?" I felt her warm pressure in various places, but no emotion or build-up.

Tried to relax.

Tried to relax.

Trying is the antithesis of relaxing. Let my mind wander. I wondered what was happening, and associated different touch points with different chakras.

Did I doze off? I noticed a prayer-like lifting sensation. My hands felt they were rising (they weren't). My body felt lifted and pulled like taffy (it wasn't). Then I know I dozed. The place where my body was (head-to-toe) became a pool of shifting colors. Liquid violet, red, pink - jewel tones in a sea of darkness. As if someone was pouring swirls of paint together. Next I was a pool of milky-liquid (like that one Doctor Who episode).

After I thought I heard a rain storm starting (wasn't happening), I was conscious of myself again. My hand slipped involuntarily. I had a coughing fit for no reason.

Afterward, she told me the coughing thing is not uncommon as the body releases toxins through the process. She said to drink water, and that I'll probably want to go to bed early tonight.

I was so thirsty. 

Hours later, at home, after drinking more water, I felt light-headed.

When I sat to work at my computer, it felt like I'd had an injection in my shoulder.

I should explain, she knew my issues were insomnia, joint pain, and "a shoulder" but not which one. My shoulder hasn't been acting up lately, either. When we finished, she said she kept being drawn to my left ankle, and asked if I had injured that sometime in the past. No, but for the past couple weeks that ankle has felt bruised. A mild pain, so I never mentioned it.

Weird!

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, it is weird. When doing reiki, you get pulled to various areas, and you feel things. My hands get really hot, although people don't necessarily feel that. There's a bit of intuition to it. But it can be very healing. (I'm trained to do reiki, but I haven't in a long while.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I could feel that her hands were quite warm. I wasn't sure if she rubbing them together or not. If so, very quietly. And I'm so mellow right now! Little neighbor girl walked right in and up to me sitting at my desk with my headphones on and I didn't get upset at all!

      Delete
  2. I have heard and read about reiki. One of my friends is trained to administer it. I know a number of people who have benefited from it too. I haven't gone for it though.
    Therapeutical and healing processes are not just physical, they are emotional too. And when it comes to issues with muscles, ligaments, joints, cartilages, etc traditional medicines (the allopathic ones) don't have much to contribute, other than pain killer and anti-inflammation medicines. It's the alternative ones that seem to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something definitely happened for me. And I felt calmer for days after. I don't think I'll do it as often as she prescribed, though.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.