01 August, 2018

Taking Stock of July

I got this list from a Linkup with Denyse Whelan here, but I'm using it just for a periodic prompt to take stock. There is no link up right now (that I know of) but it's a new month, and July was active, so what better time to Take Stock!

Making: A book. I'm nearly done and ready to look into finding an agent and seeing about getting it published! Very exciting.

Cooking: Still nothing. I boiled eggs the other day, though.

Drinking: Cheap Vietnamese beer in celebration of SIGNING A LEASE ON A NEW HOUSE!
Our new place, in a couple weeks.

Reading: Midnight, by Dean Koontz - my first Koontz, and it will probably be my last. He's mighty wordy. Miss Spelled by Morgana Best - light and fun. I'm enjoying it. Still making my way through Atlas Shrugged, too.

Next read: I don't know. I recently asked for "Chick Lit" suggestions. Probably one of those. Any suggestions? (By Chick Lit, I am referring to a female protagonist who goes through some stuff, not romantic)

Wanting: A rest from the house-hunt. It ended today, so tonight begins a short rest before packing.

Enjoying: Thinking of new possible stories/books to write.

Liking: The fact that the mat that I bought to go on the floor in front of the kitchen sink is a GREAT match for the kitchen in this new house!
My floor mat has flowers in that same deep orange.


Pondering: How often I move. How often my husband has moved. Will we be able to stay settled for longer than 2 years?

Considering: Characters for a new book, as I let this first one sit and percolate.

Buying: Housewares. Soon. The current tenant is taking a lot with him when he moves, so our first run down to the new house with suitcases will be illuminating as to what is or is not there.

Watching: I'm slowly making my way through The Office. I married a man who's a big enough fan to call me "the Pam to his Jim", and I've seen occasional episodes, but I'm going through it methodically. I could never abide Michael Scott for very long, but seeing it from the beginning, I'm a little more tolerant of him.

Next watch: Desperately waiting for seasonal shows to start back up again. For some reason "People of Earth" has been on my mind lately.

Hoping: To go at least 3 years before the next move. 


Marveling: About the mail in our new little community. Our new house has no specific address, but if we are having a delivery, they will send it "to the area" and everyone knows each other, so someone will direct them to us!

Wearing: The comfiest shorts I've ever known. Found them in the market in Hoi An, the town we'll be moving to this month!

Getting: Used to the climate. I often prefer to go up to the terrace rather than sit in the air conditioning. This is a win, to me.

Feeling: Excited to move!

Hearing: "Welcome to the Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance. I love this.

20 comments:

  1. Would you consider a paranormal chick lit book, or is that not your thang?
    Your mail marvel reminds me of finding old letters addressed to my folks, in this very house, which were just RFD and our town. (Which is not Mayberry, but almost could be...)
    Congrats on the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paranormal is fine, fantasy, sci fi, daily life. I'd love to add your selections to my list!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on finding a place. Sorry the other one fell through. Is this place nicer than that one? I hope so.

    There's another blogger who does this meme monthly. Or weekly? Whatever. It's useful to order your thoughts, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is helpful to organize - and I delete any prompts that don't pertain right now.

      This house is not as spacious as the previous one, but I think it's actually better for us. I'll do a full post and share pictures soon.

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to see more pictures of your new home - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do that within the next few days, for sure. Although the current tenant has a lot in there, so I'll probably do a post now, and another after we get set up. It will be much emptier!

      Delete
  4. Lots of thoughts here but we'll start with Congrats on the house. Also congrats on the book, I took a stab at it and never got far so I know it takes quite a bit of pushing yourself and I'm just not good at that.

    I liked Dean Koontz back in the day but I haven't read much of his stuff recently. I do like the Odd Thomas series by him.

    My wife and I finally sat and watched the Office earlier this year and it has become one of our favorites. You can't help but get emotionally attached to Pam and Jim. We're going through Sons of Anarchy at the moment because like you, we are waiting for the fall shows to start, just not much on right now.

    Looking forward to hearing about that mail thing working out. Seems a little weird to me but what do I know.

    I do love reading about how much you and Brett are happy, I feel like part of the story because I followed both your blogs before it all began. I enjoy your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeff. I always love seeing familiar faces pop up on our blog posts.

      We really are insanely happy. It is so awesome over here and we are so blessed to have found partners who are happy doing this kind of stuff.

      I popped over seas for a year with my first wife and she couldn't handle the stress of overseas living. We came back to the States, but that travel bug never left me.

      I'm curious about the mail thing also. We asked for the address and at first they just said "There isn't one" It took some pushing to find out how we are supposed to get our mail.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jeff! I'll share pictures of the house in a separate post. Marrying Brett is always an adventure, and that is fine by me!

      We will have furniture delivered after we get in and see what is left vs. what the current tenant took away. That might be another entertaining adventure!

      Good to see you again!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks. I only use the prompt words that I have answers to. It's a long list on this one!

      Delete
  6. Glad you have a house. Will it be near the beach? I like this interesting way of doing a post. I might steal some of the prompts to do with my "Currently" I have been terrible at blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed you! Our new house is further away from any beaches, but is quite near a river. The city of Hoi An actually incorporates several islands within the river. The original city was a major port on a river delta, but the river silted up a couple hundred years ago.

      Delete
  7. I love end of month round up posts - they give such a lovely glimpse into the real life of bloggers - a few of us do them and they also show me how similar things make us happy. So glad you have a new place with the lease signed after the disappointment with the last place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really settled on a format, but I'm trying to do monthly.
      I agree, reading them is like a slice of life from someone else.

      Delete
  8. Whoopsie! Just realized I'd never added my suggestions.
    I love, love, love:
    the Mercy Thompson books by Patricia Briggs, as well as the Alpha and Omega spin-off series by the same author.
    the Jane Yellowrock series by Faith Hunter, as well as *her* spin-off Soulwood series
    the World of the Lupi series (Lily Yu) by Eileen Wilkes

    These five series do contain some degree of romance within them, but that isn't the feel of the books. You get kick-ass heroines who mostly close the door behind them when they head into the bedroom.
    You will, however, be able to enjoy stories of werewolves, vampires, and shapeshifters to enjoy these books.
    I'm also sucked into the Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh, but those do contain some fairly extensive (tho' reasonably mild) sex scenes, so that may not be your thing.

    Outside of paranormal-
    I think everyone in the world should read The Guernsey Library and Potato Peel Pie Society (do it quick, before the movie comes out and alters your perceptions!)

    The Pull of the Moon by Elizabeth Berg is fantastic.

    Then there's this largely unknown but really terrific trilogy, "Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman" by Pamela Aidan, which is Pride and Prejudice through Darcy's eyes.

    There are a few to get you started.
    I've always got more books lined up than you can shake a stick at, so let me know if/when you're looking for more! (And I won't be offended if you don't feel like my tastes align to yours, either. That happens even between best friends, after all.)
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please insert the words "need to" into
      "You will, however, ^^ be able to enjoy stories of werewolves, vampires, and shapeshifters to enjoy these books."

      (you proof and you proof and STILL one gets away from you!)

      Delete
    2. I'm eager to dig into this list!
      Is the "Potato Peel Pie Society" thing sort of a knock-off of the "Sweet Potato Queens" series? I enjoyed those, but they weren't really plot-driven. Although I guess that didn't matter.

      A touch of romantic overtone is okay. Even Agatha Christie's books often had a couple coming together by the end of it. I don't mind paranormal either, just not zombies.

      Delete
  9. No, the Potato Peel Pie Society story is about a book club that forms on the island of Guernsey during the German occupation in WWII. It's in letter format, like 84 Charing Cross Road, except the correspondents consist of a lot more than 2 people. It is absolutely charming. Warm, very funny, and touching.
    Do, DO give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I will! That sounds very interesting!

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.