22 February, 2022

Tuesday Tales - A Matter of Time

I saw this sign on the gate outside of a house around the corner from us last week:

 

Basically, this house is under quarantine.

Their isolation sign is down now, but as we walked to the market this morning Brett and I counted three new signs on a different - higher traffic - street. We've ridden that street several times in the last few days and not noticed anything. I guess when you're whizzing by at pace with traffic, it's easy to miss.

Vietnam has taken a strong stance in containing Covid-19, including closing her borders, strict lockdowns in specific areas, and contact tracing. It wasn't until Delta came around that the disease began to get a toe-hold in this country so I believe the regulations taken have been effective.

But like many places, we are trying to re-open. Tourists are coming back slowly, and businesses that closed due to the pandemic are being called to reopen. Where I live is a tourist town, so logistically, many of the places that closed can't reopen until tourism is back up, but regular businesses can reopen. It's a good thing!

As the world begins to reopen and reconnect, I have come to believe that it's only a matter of time before I get Covid. I'm fully vaccinated - in fact the population of Vietnam is over 90% vaccinated now - and I do believe in the vaccine, in terms of the statistics showing that being vaccinated reduces the severity of symptoms when we all, inevitably, catch this disease.

It's only a matter of time. Until then, I wear my mask, I wash my hands a lot, and I try to keep my distance from others when I'm out and about. What else can I do? What are you doing?

8 comments:

  1. You know, you may not get Covid too. I had a man comment about me wearing a mask about a week ago. I said nothing in that I don't feel the need to just drop down to his level and argue. But I thought really loud. I just don't like being sick. He can have all the bad colds, stomach bugs and Covid he wants. But me, I like to feel good!

    Take care, they do have meds to help with Covid now. But I hope you don't get it. I sure don't want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I'm doing everything I can to prevent catching it.

      Delete
  2. I'd very much like to avoid the Covid completely. I think you can, too. I mean, some of it is luck. But we can hope to avoid it altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that's true. I just feel like it's going to become one of those viruses - after the pandemic calms down - that is always in play.

      Although even still... I never get the flu and that's always in play. There's hope!

      Delete
  3. Here in India too there are fewer severe infections, and with possibly fewer people testing, the numbers have also dropped. Life is pretty much back to normal.

    Even I haven't tested positive. But I have had very mild symptoms like an occasional tiredness or an itchy throat. But no fever, so far.

    My guess is that a lot of people who haven't tested positive so far, might have had Covid in extremely mild form, so mild as not to even notice.

    The fact that we all got vaccinated also means we have got "infected" in a very different manner.

    Now what many here are seeing is illnesses associated with a previous Covid infection, called post-Covid ailments. There have been a few cases of deaths associated with post-Covid complications.

    Post-Covid seems to be as bad as Covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about post-Covid before it was a thing. Everyone talking about "might as well just get it and move toward herd immunity" (what a joke) seemed to me very short-sighted. Because it's a new disease, no one knew what long term conditions might be associated with it.

      I am heartened to know that my family members who got it all had mild cases.

      Also, just walking today, another house is marked for isolation, just down the street from the one that had the quarantine sign last week.

      Delete
  4. I think we need a moat. As long as the Gourmet Sandwich lady and Boom Pizza can still get to us, I could be quite content in our little fortress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno... I like getting out to coffee shops.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.