26 May, 2018

All Joking Aside

A real quick one today.

In Beijing, many websites include "...BJ.com.cn" and it amuses the 12-year-old side of my brain. The BJ jokes - that nobody else seems to notice. >sigh<

We are moving to Vietnam, where the national currency is the DONG! Oh, the jokes, the jokes!



And the currency is in such denominations that, for example, a breakfast sandwich costs 15 thousand Dong (and that's less than 1 US dollar).

One of my new expat friends in Vietnam already made the comment about "I don't usually give away that much Dong." I can't wait to settle in and listen to the jokes start coming, or see if it's like Beijing where it just goes unnoticed.

10 comments:

  1. I just discovered a more civilized expression to replace the s-word. This Dong is lovely - I mean the note itself. I used to work in the foreign currency department of a South African bank, but this is my first encounter with Dong. I guess not many Vietnamese visit our country. 😀 I wish you joy and happiness in your new home. www.hesterleynel.co.za

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a clear spot in the big bills, too! It's not in the picture. It's like looking through a window in the bill. Hong Kong Dollars have something similar.

      Delete
  2. My favorite I heard in a bar the other day from an American wanting to exchange currency..

    "How much dong can I get for 50 bucks."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it goes by unnoticed. You'll just have to snicker to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we're probably pronouncing it wrong anyway. Vietnamese is a tonal language, and has a lot of glottal stops that sound like drops in a bucket of water.

      Delete
  4. How funny! I have a pretty childish sense of humour and wouldn't be able to keep a straight face! I suppose you'll get used to it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I will, but for now I'm amused!

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.