29 May, 2018

Routine? Routine? Where are You?

After the A to Z challenge, I set my goal at 2 posts per week - one on a weekday, one on a weekend. I haven't done exactly that, but I'm averaging at 2 per week, so yay!

Now that we are unpacked, if not exactly set up and organized, I'm thinking about what my new routine should be. The hard part is, right now, I have no job. But working or not, the sun is up at about 5:30, and our bedroom window faces east.
This morning's walk on the beach, facing the Marble Mountains.

This morning, for example, I was on my way to the beach by 7:30, home before 9. Then I did some organizing in the apartment. Brett was meeting with a fellow teacher who wanted his input (my man is a genius, he is), so I joined them for lunch, went to the corner store, and chilled after lunch in the ample tropical breeze that blows through our apartment when we turn off the a.c. and open it up. (I need to learn the Vietnamese word for "siesta".)
Coffee on the upstairs terrace.

My routine so far is to have Vietnamese coffee for breakfast, some kind of noodles for lunch, and eat out in the evenings, but eating out won't last too long. We just don't have produce to cook in the house. I haven't got an exercise routine yet, because I just put away the luggage this morning, so there hasn't been any room. Just walking every day.

I need to add in dedicated study time - studying Mandarin for my classes which will continue, and Vietnamese for survival here.

I need to add in "work" time. I plan to start my own business and need to figure out what to do and not do, look up local laws, set up a website, etc. 

I need to add in writing time. And reading time. For blogging and books.

A lot of this will depend on Brett's schedule. He'll be teaching online, so depending on his schedule is when I will either leave the house for my own activities or hide in the bedroom or the upstairs terrace.

14 comments:

  1. Making a move that major... I can see why it would take time to get settled into a new routine. What sort of business do you plan on starting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to help fix the broken English in English language marketing. Or add English to the tourist businesses. This city is on the cusp of a tourism boom, so my timing should be perfect!

      Delete
  2. It will take time to establish a routine, but I'm sure it will work out. This sounds so exciting, I would love to try living in another country. How wonderful to be so close to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer living in other cultures to really absorb the ins and outs of that culture, although traveling for vacations is great too. I don't think living in developing countries is for everyone. Maybe I should do a post about the things we don't typically share online.

      Delete
  3. I'm ready to start getting our routines established. I guess I need to be a little more intentional about getting them started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tick-tock, tick-tock! Just kidding. We'll get it when we get it.

      Delete
  4. One of the most difficult parts of establishing a routine is setting aside time to establish a routine.
    It looks like you're well on your way with that, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I updated my planner for June yesterday, so yeah!

      Delete
  5. Walking on the beach is giving you lots of exercise. I'm so jealous and wish I could join you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My phone tracks my steps and just taking a walk on the beach gets me to about 6,000. If I have any other errands, or we go out to eat, I'm consistently over 10,000. I'm quite happy about it!

      Delete
  6. I've missed a couple of your posts - lovely to see you all settled into your new place - you'll have more freedom to write and blog now and being near the beach is an added bonus. It all looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you back! I've been reading yours, but with so many link ups, I don't have much to say. Sorry!

      Delete
  7. Red,

    Walking is an excellent form of exercise and you get to do it outdoors. My exercise regiment (elliptical) is kept indoors. I really dislike being outside fitting the heat & humidity and things that bite when it's warm. Of course, if I could walk along the beach then that would be a refreshing treat. I'm not really a beach person but to do it a few times in my life then that would be awesome.

    Congrats on completing the A2Z challenge and best of luck to you as you figure out a blogging routine as well as get your new business going whatever that might be. Thanks for stopping off for a visit today. Enjoy your new home in Vietnam. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually following you at Curious as a Cathy now. But when I click on your name here, I see 3 different blogs! I'll have to go check them out!

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.