02 May, 2019

#AtoZChallenge Summary

I DID IT!
I tried something new for this year's challenge, and opened myself up to be inspired by my readers (read this for details). This was a scary challenge in some ways.
  • Would anyone leave any suggestions in comments? My writing now depended on it! I found and saved a few writing prompt lists, as a back up in case no one played along.
  • If they gave suggestions, would I be able to find a story within those suggestions?
  • By writing based on readers' suggestions, I was prevented from pre-planning any posts. (After we were in the 2nd half of the alphabet, I finally had some time to write posts up to a day ahead of time.)
Fortunately, people played along, and I found stories that actually stemmed from the suggestions given. I'm sure that some of the stories I wrote seem only tangentially connected, but honest, the word "efflorescence" really made me think of historic old buildings by the coast!

In short, the writing was fun. So was my blog-reading journey! Seeing the huge Master List, I decided to focus first on blogs that categorized themselves as "writing", then I moved into other categories. That at least let me wrap my head around the list and made it seem less daunting. A few things I looked for:

  1. If the link went nowhere, I deleted that blog off my copy of the list.
  2. If I couldn't find any AtoZ posts, I deleted that blog off my copy of the list.
  3. If the blogger hadn't posted in a long time, I deleted that blog. (If a blogger hadn't posted, but gave an explanation - sudden illness, drastic life event, etc. - I marked that blog to check back later.)
  4. If the blogger had abandoned AtoZ, I deleted it.
  5. If the blog was posting daily during AtoZ but had no ties to the alphabet, I didn't delete it, but I also didn't read it. Maybe I'll get back sometime.

I got annoyed by one blog I visited that had unfortunate blockages to posting a comment. I liked what she said; I wanted to comment, but when I clicked in the comment box, I was told I had to "create an account" in order to do so. An account? Seriously? Delete. I hope it's just a mistake and she's unaware that she's doing this to herself, but I can't find out!

I commented on every blog I visited, with very few exceptions (like unreadable grammar). However, I didn't visit every blog. As I said, I was going by category this year. If I did not comment on your blog, and you think I missed out, hit me up in the comments below with a link to your blog and I will pop over for a visit!

4 comments:

  1. The biggest change I noticed in comments was almost half of the sites said the comments would be seen after approval. I went back to a couple after reading their reflections and some were still missing comments. I think that's a big mistake!

    Oh well...onward and upward, right?

    DB McNicol
    author, traveler, shutterbug
    Author Blog
    Personal Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth. I can't control the way other people treat their blog or their readers. I can only return to the ones who either write things I want to read, or make me feel like a welcome part of a community.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do the A-Z Challenge because my grandma was rushed to the hospital because of a chest pain and was diagnosed with stage 3B breast cancer. She's 84 years old. So for that time, we were going in and out of hospital and trying to decide whether or not she will go for chemo. She went in for a round of chemo but her body couldn't handle it so we stopped after the first round and decided chemo wasn't for her, we decided she can just have meds to manage the pain. She's not cancer free, but because she's old, we've decided to just give her the best life we can while we can.

    Anyway, to answer the question you left for me, "Where am I?" I live in the summer capital of the Philippines. :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.