04 May, 2019

Happy Anniversary!

What is WRONG with me? I can't stop blogging!

This is a very important anniversary for Doesn't Speak Klingon, so I feel it's important to commemorate the day here.

Five years ago today, I married Brett of the Transformed Non-Conformist, and our entire relationship began through our blogs. (Making it a DSK event.) The "official" line is that our entire relationship began through HIS blog, since I am an anonymous blogger and my irl friends and family aren't supposed to know about this site.

SIDEBAR: Yes, I am a Star Wars fan. Yes, we were married on Star Wars Day (May the Fourth...) but honestly it was a coincidence.

I started outlining the history of us in the tab^^ "The Saga of..." but I desperately need to update it. (Since no one who was part of our early blogging existence is around anymore, you might really enjoy a visit to that tab.)

Five years married, met seven years ago, and we first found each other in the blogosphere some 6-7 months before that. What a ride.

Credit where credit is due, I found his blog by clicking through a comment he left at The Bloggess. You know her, right? Yeah. Don't discount the value of the comment section. A lot of our initial flirtation happened in the comment section of blogs we both followed. It was fun. It was light-hearted. He lived a thousand miles away so it was harmless! 
HAHahahahaha. God has a grand sense of humor.

We would never have met organically.

If we had ever lived in the same town (county, region) we would never have naturally crossed paths.
Our tastes are as different as night and day.
Our upbringings put us in WILDLY disparate social circles. 

But we have each been adopted into the other's life easily. People know when it's real. His dad shocked both Brett and his brother by greeting me with a hug on our first meeting. My mother allows Brett to do things at the dinner table that NO ONE else can do! ("Only when Uncle Brett is here..."

As Brett has said, I am the peanut butter to his mouse pad, and he's the hour hand to my work boots. We couldn't be a better fit.

He's sick today, so we're not doing anything. Well, I am. I'm running to the pharmacy and the market and forcing him to take drugs and eat appropriate stuff, but he's mostly just in agony. Which hurts me. The Me of 10 years ago would never have believed this.

We met late in life (38 and 39), married late in life, but it feels like the adventure is still getting started. After we were married and started going to the same doctor, we found out each other's medical issues. (LOL) We joke that we met just in time to fall apart together. 

But man, this falling apart together is fun. I think we're doing it right. 
Enjoy the life you have. 

Have you ever been surprised by someone doing something "out of character" or at least "non-stereotypical"? He surprises me every day. (Well okay, after 7 years, maybe every week.)

PLEASE, don't shut anyone out because they don't seem enough like you, or like "your type". You may be missing out on the best part of humanity.

10 comments:

  1. All this blogging is making the rest of us look bad, you do realize...?
    (just teasing - keep going, girl!)

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's distracting me from "real" writing. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Happy anniversary. (This seems to be a popular day. Middle nephew is turning 9.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It honestly was chosen because, the weekend prior he heard my sisters would be in town and was like "want to get married?"

      Delete
  3. Happy Anniversary, a day late (was a total vegetable yesterday). I love your story...a little like hubby and I except totally different. But if we had met 10-15 years earlier, we would never have clicked. Now that we've both experienced the death of 20 yr marriage to our spouses, we know what to take seriously (okay, that's me - he's almost NEVER serious). LOL!

    DB McNicol
    author, traveler, shutterbug
    Author Blog
    Personal Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I was a very different person prior to Brett and he was, well, married, then a single parent. Thanks for the link to your personal blog.

      Delete
  4. Yes. The blogging world is the only way we would have ever talked to each other.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry none of those original bloggers are still around. They were so critical to our banter!

      Delete
  5. That is one of the happiest meeting stories I've ever read. I would say I love happy endings, but fortunately things are far from being over for the two of you.
    And reading your story also reminds me why I enjoy everyone's story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Thank you! He just posted his "anniversary" post today. He's finally feeling up to some blogging after being sick.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.