31 May, 2022

Tuesday Tales - The Mythical Library

I have a dream. Not a dream for me, but for the students at my school.

If you were reading my A-to-Z challenge, you may have read that my husband and I have opened an English language education center in our town. It's to teach English to Vietnamese kids - something everyone wants in our touristy area.

I dream of a library. Not a big one, just a small lending library of English books for the kids to practice and hone their reading skills.

Just a small library - that wall of shelves on the left. Is it too much to ask?
 

My sister, the one who died in 2020, was a librarian. So I've reached out to one of her librarian buddies to inquire about the possibility of having books donated to our school. 

Today I got a response! They are interested, but not sure how it works to donate overseas. I'm not sure either. (We have no physical address, so advise friends and family to never send anything.) My Vietnamese business partner is looking into it - she's not sure how to receive shipments from the USA, either! 

Isn't it exciting when everyone wants to do something, but no one knows how, and you all have to figure it out together? Like a school group project, but with better teamwork.

I know first-hand how much a library would help. After I reached a certain point in my Mandarin classes, I pulled out my set of Frog & Toad books in Chinese. I'd bought them on a whim in Beijing, in the hopes that one day I'd be able to read and understand them.

Let me tell you, books - children's books, that are designed to impress on the brain certain words, phrases, or grammatical structures - are phenomenal in piecing together a second language! I still need my classes. That's where you learn how the language works and build vocabulary, but a book is where you can put it all together! 

Right now, this library is a myth. 

It's a pipe-dream. 

It may end up happening piecemeal as we accept donations in drips and drabs, and supplement when we find suitable English books here. 

If my sister's library can at least give us a kick-start with a healthy donation of children's books, we will be on our way!

Now, does anyone know how to run a library?

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful goal that will make such a positive difference. I don't know the logistics of running a library but it sounds like a lot of fun and I'm sure you'll figure it out. Good luck with building your dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited for the possibilities.

      Delete
  2. Is there an Amazon in Vietnam? Because I know you can make a wishlist, and then you share that wishlist with people, and they can buy things off of it and have it shipped to you. But I don't know if that works where you are. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look into that. Part of the situation with bringing books into the country is that we have to pay a customs tax on all shipments. I believe the tax is determined based on the value of the items. So used, donated books would have a lower "value" and therefore a lower customs tax. I think. But I'll look into the Amazon thing. It's not the most popular online shopping site here, but I sometimes see "ships to Vietnam" when looking at American Amazon.

      Delete
  3. Good luck! I hope you're able to receive the donations!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.