23 November, 2022

Tuesday Time Management

I read an article recently about preventing dementia and alzheimers. (The article popped up in the automatic news feed on my new phone, and it's gone now, so I can't cite the source, sorry.) It's the same stuff I've read before: basically, be healthy. (duh) But one pointer hit me differently.

I knew that doing puzzles - doing things that exercise your brain - is a good way to help prevent these types of diseases, but this article specifically stated that doing puzzles isn't what helps: learning new things is what helps. 

When your brain is learning something, new connections are made. When the brain is active, it prevents stagnancy (my word - again, I can't find the article anymore). 

Well, I'm studying languages, so that counts. I'll tick that box off the list.

That got me thinking, if it's about connecting things in the brain in a different way to keep it active, what about "learning" that's not traditional learning? Not studying a new skill, but just doing things differently? 

I am a creature of habit. Especially in the morning I have several tasks to be done, in a specific order, before I can decide what's my first thing to do that day - sit at my laptop, go to the market, have coffee out at a cafe? Routine, according to the article, also allows the brain to get lazy. We don't want a lazy brain!

So for the last few days I'm doing things differently. I've gotten up and dived into writing before anything else. I've watched comedy shorts on YouTube instead of meditating first thing. I'm being more social (gasp!). I think I even joined a book club! (I went, once, and they are just starting a new book that I can read if I want to join the discussion at the next meeting. So I guess that means I've joined. It's not like there's a sign-up.)

I'm exhausted. But I think it's a good thing. 

What do you think? I wish I could link up the article, even though most of it was stuff we've probably all read before, but do you think "learning" could be taken as "learning to do the same things in a different way"? It surely can't hurt.

7 comments:

  1. It can't hurt. But, for some of us, routines are needed to organize the day. I think a balance can be found between routines and doing things in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I have Alzheimer's in my family. I'm very routine as well but my memory seems to be tied to my memory. If I break routine, it throws off the way I think all day. I know that sounds stupid but it is what it is. I just know when I break my routine, I struggle more to remember things that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very interesting! I notice more emotional differences than memory differences. I'm still playing with this idea, trying to find the "new things" that work.

      Delete
  3. I think it's about striking a comforting balance, between the predictable routine and the occasional change or something new.
    Indeed too much regimentation can bring in boredom thereby inducing a certain amount of laziness.
    When there is something that new and different that comes occasionally in between, it sort of refreshes our brain, as I understand.
    I don't think there can be a template of how much of routine and how much of change. It's a balance that we have to strike at a personal level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Routine isn't really it, I think.
      I'm realizing that changing my routine is not the same as learning to do things differently. I am seeing the value of my routines. But I like the idea of, for example, using keyboard shortcuts instead of pull down menus. Little tricks that take focus to learn and remember. Just doing small things differently.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.