07 January, 2023

Fiction Friday - Forbidden


Corinne waited at the kitchen table, pretending not to wait. The newspaper lay open on the table and she filled a number into the Sudoku puzzle, not really paying attention. Where was the mailman? He was late today.

She refilled her mug of coffee and nearly dropped the carafe when the letter slot clapped in the door. A soft rustle of paper falling alerted her that mail had arrived.

"Dear Cori..." she read, skimming the letter quickly. Yes, yes... love... he's reforming... hoping for parole... "With love, Darius."

Now to decode it.

When they'd come up with the code, sitting at the little table during prison visiting hours, her crazy, forbidden, romance had seemed like a game. But their relationship grew and Cori was now obsessed with him: the visiting, the letters, the hidden messages he included, and - let's be honest - the bad boy. She kept hoping...

"What is this?" She asked the open room. He had encoded an address, plus the words "third stone" and "dig". Something was hidden under the third stone at that address. She sighed.

There was no time to go find out what he buried there. The mail had come late, and she'd have to be at work soon. Leaving the letter, she pocketed the decoded message and pulled on her coat. Maybe she could find the place after work, and return to dig tomorrow.

Whatever could it be?

This Fiction Friday post is coming to you from a coffee shop early on my Saturday morning. I downloaded the Blogger app to my phone and I'm not 100% familiar with it yet. If this looks different, that's why.
Today's flash fiction is from the prompt we followed in my Monday morning writing group this week: "woman befriends a prisoner who reveals a secret".














































2 comments:

  1. I don't trust the prisoner. Too bad she does. Hopefully this all doesn't go badly for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I wrote something similar during an AtoZ... but I can't find it easily, so maybe not.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.