18 June, 2022

Fiction Friday - No Simple Trips


I read the Bible every year, and often think about backstories to characters that are not told. Why did Rebekah favor Jacob over Esau? What was Adam and Eve's relationship like before the fall into sin? How awful/exciting would it have been to live on the ark for all those months? Today I'm considering the more obscure story of Balaam's donkey...

It was early, but I was already out in the paddock with the other donkey when I heard my master coming for me. My big ears perked up at a sound of something hard and crunchy knocking together as he walked. Yum!

Balaam was a good master, I suppose. He never overused my services. I know he preferred to ride on me than on the other donkey he owned. Since he was walking my way today, I figured we were going somewhere. Why not? It was a nice enough day for it.

"Hello there!" Balaam said as he approached. He was reaching into his bag with one hand, reaching out to stroke my ear with the other. "How'd you like to go visit a king?" he asked as he pulled a pear from his bag. He held it just out of my reach for a moment, as usual. The tricks we have to do for humans!

I brayed, as he expected, and he let me take the pear from his hand. "Good girl. It should be a simple walk. Smooth road. Not too far." 

As we left the paddock, I saw a large group of men waiting for us. They rode on other kinds of animals, mostly horses. Some camels, I think. They were dressed differently than my Balaam. Wore things on their heads. Longer robes. This was a bigger deal than I thought. I held my head up as we joined the group and started down the road.

The sun was shining. The birds were singing. The men in our group chatted easily with each other. I felt good to be a part of such an important party. There's a first time for everything! 

A first time for everything, indeed! Something bright was in the distance on the road. It was strange. A light in the middle of the road, and all this crowd of men and animals were headed straight for it! I felt my steps slow as we drew closer, but Balaam urged me on. He was talking to the man riding next to him. 

Nope. Nope, nope, nope! That glowing thing had wings and a fiery sword. And even as we got close it was not moving from the road! What was a donkey to do?

I turned off into the field on the side, and kept walking. Better safe than sorry. But Balaam started beating me! I knew he carried a stick on him when we rode, but he'd never used it before, except maybe a gentle tap to tell me to start moving. "Why are you hurting me?" I tried to ask. Couldn't he see we could be chopped in two by that sword?

There was no choice, so I moved back onto the road. There was laughter from the group we were with, and a lot of chatter for a few minutes, but the being with the sword was gone, thankfully. Had I imagined it?

Walking on, as we rose into some hills, there were vineyards all around. I like the smell of vineyards. I don't know if humans can smell the delight of grape vines, but I brayed in joy at the smell. Overall, this was a pleasant trip.

No. Not again! That same being, with the big wings and fiery sword was in the way again! What was it doing? Now we were walled in on the path, with guarded vineyards on both sides. I tried to tell him, but Balaam heard my braying and just leaned down to stroke my neck. Nice, but not what I needed. Humans never listen. 

He was still urging me on, using his stick gently on my hind quarters. I didn't want a repeat of that earlier episode, so I kept walking. I edged over as close to the wall as I could. Closer. A little closer. 

"Ahh! You stupid animal! You've crushed my foot!" Oops. That was Balaam's voice. His stick came up again, in anger. He struck me again, and it stung. As I looked to where the being had been, it was gone. I moved away from the wall. The whole party had stopped to inspect and then wrap Balaam's foot. I tried to tell him, "It wasn't my fault! Would you rather have a crushed foot, or be cut in half by a fiery sword?" but he didn't understand me.

We were on our way again, but I was keeping my ears down. That thing had come upon us twice, and no one seemed to notice but me. What was happening? 

The road narrowed. We were between a drop-off and a mountain side when I caught sight of the thing with the sword again. Nope. Not doing that. 

I lay down, there in the road. Now I knew what to expect from my normally peaceful master, but better his stick than a sword! He stepped off me and started hitting me again. 

I cried out again, "What have I done to make you beat me these three times?" even though he wouldn't understand me.

But this time he did! He stopped hitting me and stared at me. Then, seeing the looks on the faces of our company, he yelled, "You have made a fool of me! If I had a sword in my hand, I'd kill you right now." 

I knew he was saying that for his audience, for all eyes were on us. And I know Balaam. Never once had he hit me before. So I asked him, "Am I not your own donkey, which you have always ridden? Have I been in the habit of doing this to you?"

His stick lowered and he looked around at the others. "No," he shrugged. I looked ahead at the angel of the Lord with its sword raised. Balaam's eyes followed mine. His jaw dropped and his eyes went wide. The stick dropped from his hand and he dropped to his knees. No one else did anything. I guess they still didn't see what we could see.

Boy, did that angel make me feel good! It told Balaam that I'd saved his life by leaving the path. It told him that if I hadn't done that, Balaam would be dead, but I would have been spared. I had done the right thing. I knew I did!

Reference: The story of Balaam's donkey is told in the book of Numbers 22: 21-33. For the reasons as to why the angel of the Lord was in the way, you'll have to read the surrounding verses. The story in the Bible includes this trip, but the donkey's perspective isn't given. The point when Balaam actually understands his donkey, is however stated in the Bible. My little tale above is pure conjecture.


2 comments:

  1. This is a story I had never heard. But then again, I've never read the Bible, so I'm sure there are all sorts of stories I'm not familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely an obscure one. Not one kids learn in Sunday School, for sure! I'm more interested in side characters from popular stories, but this jumped out at me recently.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.