Last week I was in Cambodia. Not a country known for it's coffee, you might say. True. Now that I've been there, I'd put Cambodian coffee somewhere between Vietnamese and Thai.
You know I LOVE Vietnamese coffee! But when I visited Thailand a year or two ago, I was distinctly underwhelmed by their coffee game. Not worth commenting on.
Cambodian coffee is strong. Super-strong, like in Vietnam.
But without all the bells and whistles of Vietnamese coffee - no sweetened condensed milk, no salted cream, no frozen coconut milk. Strong and black. Unless requested otherwise.
I wasn't mad at it.

Breakfast coffee overlooking the hotel pool.
A good wake-up jolt: Strong. Black. Dark. No fuss. Just coffee.
Very. Dark. Coffee.
…
Speaking of dark.
Mr. Dark.
Mr. Dark is the villain in Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. Guess what I'm reading right now?
Something Wicked This Way Comes was a repeated reference in The Dead Zone by Stephen King. I finished Dead Zone and wondered if there was a significance.
There is.
Of course there is!
It's Stephen King! He's not known for being random.
I wanted to post something about the dark Cambodian coffee, and reading today I thought "Mr. Dark! Dark coffee! There's a link!"
And incidentally, the book itself is quite dark.
Nighttime dark, attitude dark, dark deeds made my corrupted souls.
Dark on many levels....Dark like Cambodian coffee.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.