02 September, 2026

Wednesday Poetry Corner: Lazy Cat

Beaker chills below.
Airborne army nests above.
Why won't he stop them? 

(Haiku written by me September 2, 2026)

The lazy cat in question

Bird in the rafters. See it? (They kept flying away when I'd come out.)

This was inspired by seeing Beaker loafing on my yoga mat, while a cacophony of birds building their nests rang through our upper story. How do I know they were building nests? Because in recent days, I've been seeing nest-building debris littering the stairs up to the second floor.

We knew the house was open to birds when we moved in. In fact, Brett removed an abandoned nest within days of our taking occupancy. It's okay. I call this architectural style a sort of "Industrial Chic," and the upstairs definitely has that "abandoned warehouse" feel to it. (Great for breezes! Open to wildlife!)

At first, the birds really irritated me, but I realized it's not healthy to be irritated all the time. I still don't love their chatter, but I've decided to take the view that we've simply moved into a summer camp building for the next few years! 

The top of the stairs, and an example of our warehouse-ian view.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.