07 September, 2026

Monday Coffee Klatch: Comfort Books

Some people have comfort foods. I have comfort books. 

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would be my primary comfort book, if I had to pick just one. Brett is traveling in the US right now, and told me he found my "Hitchhikers book" in the storage tub at his brother's house, and will bring it back home to me. 

Bearing in mind that I have here in the house my leather-bound Hitchhiker's "trilogy", plus a paperback of the 5th book, plus a copy of the original radio scripts, I had to ask which book had been left in the States. 

Turns out, it was a big coffee table book I'd purchased - thin, but huge - with color photos (not from the show or movie) and a fun iridescent dust cover.

 

I had to tell him not to bring it back. Sell it, donate it, find it a good home, but I don't need it with me here in Vietnam.

My love for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy made me buy this beautiful book, but we no longer live the "Coffee Table Book lifestyle™!" 😆

I have the text of the book here in the first version I'd ever owned, complete with inscription from my parents (who gave it to me), paint stains, and my own penciled notes in margins. 

So that's my go-to comfort book.

And here's where we get back to the coffee part of Coffee Klatch.

In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Arthur Dent's comfort beverage of choice is tea. He goes on about it almost as much as I launch poetic about coffee. 😆

Maybe tea is just too British for me first thing in the morning. Either way, it seems that even a stranded Earthling trying to make sense of the universe appreciates a reliable brown beverage.

So the questions of the day are:

What's your go-to comfort book? (If you have one.)

And what's your go-to comfort beverage?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.