19 April, 2022

Pomodoros - #AtoZChallenge

Disclaimer: If you are familiar with the Pomodoro Technique and I'm misusing the name, please forgive me. I only found out about it recently on YouTube.

I'm a pretty organized person. I get things done. Actually I have an almost pathological need to be productive each day.

After the lethargy of Covid quarantine lingered for a while, I finally got my act together and started making a point to, at a minimum:

  • write something
  • read something
  • clean something / address a household need
  • study

...every day.

My standard had been to study my languages for an hour every day. I had to get back into it. The other three things could be any amount of time. Some days I'd read for hours, and barely write at all. Or the reverse.

Then I discovered "The Pomodoro Technique" through a YouTube recommendation. 

The Pomodoro Technique is meant to improve efficiency. The idea is to focus on study/work for 25 minutes, followed by a 5 minute break. Then another pomodoro (I guess that's the name of the 25 minute parts), another break, and so on. This helps improve focus and productivity. I'm hooked. 

I found a YouTube channel - The Sherry Formula - who does 30 minute pomodoros between breaks, so two of those are my study time; then the next can be to write or read or whatever. What I like about using her videos is it means I don't have to set a timer. Just listen for the dings in her videos.

I'm so much more productive, and I feel like my days are better balanced. Without a 9-to-5, paying job, it's up to me to get on my own case when I'm slacking off. Pomodoros help.

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you've found a system that works for you. I tend to get caught up in my work and forget to take any breaks . . . I also have trouble working with music or anything in the background. Not good at that kind of multi=tasking at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem is more that if I have something to do that will take a long time I allow myself to be distracted during a long stretch of work. This really helps me avoid distractions.
      ...and some of the pomodoro channels don't do music, or save music for the break. Breaks are good!

      Delete
  2. Pomodoro is new to me. Sounds interesting. Good going on the AtoZ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's new to me too. That's why I'm a little bit gung-ho over it. Especially on days I have no energy. I can do anything for just 25 minutes!

      Delete
  3. I didn't know this word or this technique until I read your post.
    But I had a feeling that "not doing anything for too long a time" is a good practice. So, for every activity, I try to put a hard stop after 20 or 30 mins, or maybe 45.
    That way, I found that I accomplished more, than if I was stuck with one task for too long a time.
    Now, your post has confirmed my belief and practice. Thank you. :-)
    P = Pogono-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You invented it on your own! Crazy.

      Delete
  4. I heard a lot about pomodoro technique but never implemented it. I saw my brother using it , I am also curious now to know if it would help in efficient time usage! Good luck


    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps for me because I tend to let myself get distracted otherwise.

      Delete
  5. I have heard of this technique... it does help atleast to stretch a bit without being stationery for long...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my desk chair, but not for long periods of time, so I appreciate being reminded to get up now and then.

      Delete
  6. Glad that you found something that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's especially helpful when I'm unmotivated, if that makes sense.

      Delete
  7. sounds very interesting, but I'm you mirror opposite and so I'm very happy knowing that my local Pomodoro is an Italian restaurant. ;)

    Facing The Mountain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delightful! Also, much more interesting than an organizational plan.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.