20 April, 2022

Querying - #AtoZChallenge

Querying: That annoying process that writers have to go through to get their books published. 

I mean, these days it's not as necessary because self-publishing and e-publishing is so easy (or at least, easier). But I have decided to shoot for the moon and go the traditional route to publication. 

My former work in the States was in business writing. For fun, I wrote a one-act play for my theatre, but that was it.

In China, I modified or created short plays for children's drama camps.

Since moving to Vietnam four years ago and finding myself with extra time, I've been writing novels. First I took the one-act play I had written and turned it into a novel. Then I discovered Nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month) and have basically added another new novel per year. But they were all first drafts, with some incomplete editing in between.

A year ago I decided to focus on editing, and since October I've been querying that first book out to possible writing agents. It's one step toward publication, and it's a long slog. Here's why:

First, general wisdom that I read or heard from agents in writing workshops, says not to send to too many agents at once. Because as soon as one agent says, "Hey, show me more," then you have to go back and contact all the other agents still holding your query and say, "Someone's interested, so never mind," or give them an opportunity to show interest, too. Therefore, I've been keeping about 10 copies in circulation at a time. 

Second, not all agents or agencies give a time-frame to expect response. Nowadays it seems quite common that "if we're interested, we'll let you know" is the standard. Of the places that offer a time frame 8-12 weeks turnaround is common, so for every agency that has no turnaround time listed, I consider that query "active" until at least eight weeks have passed. So therefore, I may go weeks without either sending a query or hearing back.

It's a long slog, but I'm not discouraged. Time was, authors bragged about how many rejection letters they received before publication. Now the letters don't always come, but they still count as rejection. The first rejection email I got, I cheered because it meant I was on my way. It's less exciting now, but I still think of one popular author who had her first manuscript rejected for a full year before turning around and querying with a different book and finally achieving publication. It's only been six months for me. I'm good.

P.S. That's one reason I do Flash Fiction Fridays during the rest of the year - just working to keep ideas fresh. Drop a prompt if you have one!

14 comments:

  1. Getting Published is a tedious experience I suppose but still doable. Wish u good luck with it soon. I always think of getting my poems published still not confident yet!


    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I remember the process of querying ... tedious work. I quit doing it. I wish you luck. Persevere and you will be successful. Quitters never win right? I remember doing flash fiction Friday's awhile back and that was so much fun. How about an ordinary ritual in which something goes terribly wrong? I ended up here from visiting Facing the Mountain
    This is my contribution:

    Quid Pro Quo


    Cheers,
    Barbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I like that one! Adding it to the list...

      Delete
  3. Its one of my distant dreams... writing a novel and publishing it... have never attempted though

    Jayashree writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad spent years trying to get published, but when anyone showed interest he declared they weren't going to edit his work or it would no longer be his work... which of course removed the publisher's interest! I never understood him for that.

      Delete
  4. Good luck on the querying. It is a long, hard slog. I hope you are able to find the perfect agent for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already I've adjusting my general synopsis within the query letters. I started by querying to long shots or agents I had less interest in, knowing that I'd work out some kinks as I went.

      Delete
  5. I like your outlook as well as your approach to publishing your work. Getting published traditionally by a publisher based on the merits of your writing seems to have more credibility to me. And whether traditionally published or self-published it all takes a lot of work to achieve success.

    Good luck with your efforts!

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might as well go the long way, then I'll have the help of an agent and professionals who know what they're doing!

      Delete
  6. This definitely is one thing that puts my off. I really don't know if it's worth that struggle. Probably, it was once upon a time. No longer, I guess. I haven't yet ventured on that path. Maybe one day. Then let me see how I feel about that long slog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should probably set a timeline. If I don't have any takers in 2 years: self-publish. Or something. It's a good exercise in patience, for sure!

      Delete
  7. It's a long slow process, but it will eventually pay off.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.