09 April, 2016

H is for Hersheypark


Hidden in central Pennsylvania (PA) is a gem of a city called Hershey. It’s known for its chocolate, but Milton Hershey built many other amenities for his staff and community. One of those was Hersheypark. It started as… a Park (go figure) with a stream, pond, shady trees and picnic areas, trails, at some point a carousel and ferris wheel were added, and the rest, as they say…

 


When I knew it, Hersheypark was of Six Flags standard, but nicer. Not just a standard amusement park, Hersheypark simply added into its beautiful natural setting of hills and flowers all the standard rollercoasters – standing, sitting, hanging, wooden, reverse, vertical… you name it. No record-holders for height or distance, but all the thrill necessary.  With lovely, shady walks from one end of the park to another.




Just a sampling of the care they took in creating beauty.

My rollercoaster buddy and I would spend the entire day, and not all of it was standing in lines! We predominantly rode rollercoasters, maybe occasionally breaking it up with a trip on something tame right after eating, but Hersheypark had so much beauty and variety of entertainment, that our stomachs didn’t reject us!


Rollercoaster, rollercoaster, aquatic mammal show, rollercoaster, lunch, musical show, rollercoaster, bumpercars, rollercoaster, outdoor musical show, rollercoaster, wander around the waterpark in the mist, rollercoaster… occasionally meander through “Zoomerica” which was attached to the park, and free with our SEASON PASSES. And beautiful. It truly is a beautiful park. (I've been to many amusement parks.)

 

Yep. For years I was a regular-enough visitor that I had a season pass. Even after I moved down to Delaware I'd come back about 4-5 times a year. Well worth the expense.

Moral of the story: A beautiful setting is more important than record-breaking rollercoasters.


10 comments:

  1. I've been to Hershey once, but didn't have time to get into the park. We did look over the fence. I wanted to, but it was a cold day anyway. A roller coaster would have frozen us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During Christmas Candylane the park is open but coasters are closed. They understand.

      Delete
  2. I would like to go there. I like Hershey chocolate. I grew up on Ghiredelli chocolate from San Francisco. They don't have a amusement park, just a touristy square in the city, with shops and cafe's. Love their chocolate too. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The park is right across from Chocolateworld, with a few attractions showing the history and process, and TONS of shopping - new things, test flavors, etc.

      Delete
  3. I am not at all into roller coasters. But I would love the park-like setting!!


    Paula from
    Smidgen, Snippets, & Bits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one thing I loved. Went to Cedar Point with my sister's family and it's all in the sun. My sister spent most of the day trying to find a table with an umbrella for shade.

      Delete
  4. My parents used to take my brother and me to Hershey Park when we were kids, back in the days -- 1940s and '50s -- when it was a simple shady park with few amusements, just a nice outing, and spelled with two words. We kids loved going there. What a thoughtful thing Milton Hershey did for his employees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great town in general. I've been to the Hershey Museum, too. I think the city shines best around the holidays.

      Delete
  5. I've never been there but it sounds like fun! I'd probably be too scared to ride that many roller coasters, though...

    Sarah Foster
    Stormy’s Sidekick!
    The Faux Fountain Pen
    @Sarah_A_Foster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My stomach is a little weaker now, and I probably wouldn't attempt as many rollercoasters, either. That's one thing I loved about Hersheypark: The variety of things to do.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.