02 April, 2020

Blessed #AtoZChallenge

We are Blessed. Truly. 

We say this every day. Crazy things are happening in the world, but Brett and I truly feel Blessed. 

We are Blessed to be healthy. 

We are Blessed that our income was already based on work via the internet. 

We are Blessed to live in a place that was ahead of the Covid-19 game. (Largely due to sharing a border with China, Vietnam had some protocols already in place.) 

We are Blessed to have neighbors / landlords who look out for us. 

We are Blessed that we actually, truly, enjoy each other's company, AND we are used to it. I can imagine many families who love each other dearly might be hitting a learning curve of how to be in each other's presence 24/7. My sympathies. When we were out of work for a while in China and couldn't really afford to go out of our tiny apartment, it was a struggle! "In your face" isn't fun regardless of how much love you may have for each other. 

We are Blessed that we have a home with a yard for me to sit out front reading, and an office for Brett to close the door and be online.

I do believe that part of our relative calm comes from being removed from the hysteria. Since we live in Vietnam, even if people here get hysterical, we don't understand the language well enough to catch it. And we are physically removed from American or European hysteria.

Tying this into the "grief" part of my "Grief / Covid19" theme, I do think my sister is Blessed to have died before this all began. She had a blood clot in her lung in December, and although it had cleared up, I don't think her respiratory system would have weathered this disease at all.  

I hope that everyone has the mindset to look for their Blessings even as we face a tragic pandemic. There are still good things to be found! Just don't go outside to find them.

I would love to read your Blessings in the comments. I think we all would appreciate reading about good things happening.

10 comments:

  1. So uplifting to read.

    I think dad was blessed to have gone back to God in December before the Covid madness started. With his dementia i don't think he would have understood why we weren't allowed to visit him - we've just banned visitors to all nursing homes here.

    And if he had caught it or gotten sick he probably wouldn't have survived it and he would have been in the hospital alone.

    AT least we were with him till the very last day. And he passed peacefully in his sleep that night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! My sister's death was unexpected, so we weren't with her at the very end, but she lived her life right up until the last moment, just as she pleased. Funny to think of it as a blessing, but it is.

      Delete
  2. There are many blessings in all of this. I am thankful and blessed that my husband and I are retired. A fixed income every month. I'm blessed to have a home - and we are blessed to have our cat and dog. They provide us with comfort and a lot of laughter. I'm blessed to have 2 yards to sit in with shade trees and a lot of birds.

    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pets are great for comfort! We don't have any, but there are several neighborhood dogs who like to drop by now and then. Enjoy your trees and birds!

      Delete
  3. It is good to remember the good things. Harder in times like these, but vital nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend toward depression, so I typically list things I'm grateful for every day. Sometimes it's hard, and I have to put a spin on something I hate like "I'm grateful for this hangover because it reminds me not to drink so much!" Still, it helps my mindset.

      Delete
  4. Your sister was also a socialite who lived alone. It would have been quite difficult for her to just sit in her house by herself for weeks on end with no visitors.

    I agree that things are much easier for us just being here. We are not in the middle of the hysteria. That relieves a lot of stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true.

      And we enjoy each other's company.

      Delete
  5. I was asking myself just the other day if I am more blessed to be alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brett and I were talking this morning about what we'd do if one of us got it. Our back "bedroom" is 100% his office. The bed is gone. But it has a private bathroom, so he could hole up back there and I could bring him meals on a tray. I just hope it doesn't happen.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.