09 April, 2020

Home #AtoZChallenge

Home.

Everyone is at Home these days. 
We hope. 

How's that going? Are you finding Home to be the haven you need during a world-wide crisis? Are you struggling because you can't work from Home, and therefore are lacking in income? Are you stressed by caring for kids/family 24/7?

I want to broaden the perspective of Home. I am Home. I love my Home - both the house we live in and the "Home" that it is. (sorry. Pet peeve. A "house" is not equivalent to a "home".)

I am, however, not in my "Home-country". It's a distinction unique to expats. Where I live is, in my heart, my Home. But people I know in the country I came from often ask "When are you coming Home?"
...well, okay, they don't ask that anymore. I've bitten enough heads off during our first year in China that I think people who know me get it. Or they pretend to.

An expat friend of mine, who LOVED living in Asia, recently caught the last plane out of Azerbaijan to go Home to the US. I do not know the whole story. I'm dying to ask, but she's been in transit, and I know there are bigger things happening for her than answering a nosy friend's questions. Did she leave her beloved Home in Azerbaijan because the school she was with closed? Was she at greater risk there than she expects back Home in the US? She has a daughter in college. Was her decision somehow based on being near family?

Today, Brett read that the US embassy in Hanoi has partnered with England and Ireland to arrange ONE flight out of Hanoi for expats living in Vietnam or Cambodia who wish to return Home. RETURN HOME. Not an open flight for tourists. I get that everyone has their own situation and different kinds of family ties that might affect one's decision, but right now, you couldn't PAY me to go back to the US. 

Sorry if that bothers some of you, but seriously. 

Blame who you want, it is the PEOPLE who are not staying Home. Who are not wearing masks in public. Who are wantonly spreading germs they don't believe they have. Maybe these are the people who still think Covid-19 is the flu. >excuse me while I bang my head on my desk until I bleed< 

STOP MAKING EXCUSES and BE SMART!

I told you this month might get - well, I said snarky. I guess it's more like "bashing heads together and hoping something smart comes out".

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure you're safer where you're at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to realize that anyone is safer if they stay put. I think the big danger would be in trying to get back to the US. The transit part.

      Delete
  2. I just read that American pro baseball (MLB) is working out a way to get the season going. Just without fans. smh.
    I mean, yes, on the field, baseball players are far apart, but what about in the dugout or locker room. What about the batter-catcher-umpire trio. Seems a stupid idea to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what??? yeah seems stupid to me too.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.