10 April, 2020

Intimidation #AtoZChallenge.

I find I'm Intimidated to talk to my family back in the US. I know myself. I am judgmental. Especially right now when it is so clear to me - over here, near, you know CHINA - that they need to stay inside.
I'm Intimidated to ask if my parents and siblings went to a physical church service last Sunday. Or if they intend to do so on Easter.

In the Christian church, Easter Sunday is a big deal. As a Christian, Easter has always been my favorite holiday. It's the most significant, faith-wise. Christ's resurrection is, in fact, the very reason we have faith!

When I lived in the US, I was an active member of a church. When we moved to China, I lost that. Our first year in China, we tried to find a place to go to a Christmas service. We found that they they are such a huge deal and attract tourists, that some churches required you to show your foreign passports just to get in. We opted NOT to attend a Christmas service. 

In the past four years, I've gotten used to reading my Bible, praying, meditating, and not having that church community. I get that it's a transition process and most people living in a "free-religion" society are accustomed to attending communal worship. I get that the sudden change in societal rules does not make people suddenly comfortable to give up communal worship.

I'm Intimidated to ask any of my family whether they went to church on Palm Sunday. I'm not asking about Easter plans. My family is not too active on facebook, so if I don't ask, I probably won't know. Then I won't have to get in their face. Because I will. I'm mean. And as the 4th of 5, knowing that no one takes me seriously I sometimes get loud.

In the face of my Intimidation, since I can't say this to those I love IRL, please, please, PLEASE...

STAY HOME! 

Here's a thought. Worship at home. Zoom, Skype, Sing an Easter hymn without potentially contaminating yourself and dozens of others.

GOD gets it. God has asked us to care for each other, to consider those in need. Right now, we are all in need to be protected. We NEED to isolate.

Worship. By all means. Jesus lives, and that is an amazing miracle. 

But follow His lead and consider all the lives that touch yours. STAY HOME!

7 comments:

  1. I've found that only a certain type of Christian (and a certain type of church) feels the need to go out to church. Many are doing remote services. Most reasonable pastors are urging their congregations to stay at home. (I'm non-Christian, so this Sunday is just another Sunday to me.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning that.
      Messaged my mom this morning (Friday night her time) and they were relaxing at home with a movie. That tells me they did not go to the Good Friday service. I am relieved.

      Maybe I need to give people more credit.

      Delete
    2. Yeah. The news media is focusing on "interesting stories", like people defying stay in orders. Mostly, people are staying in. I went to the grocery store yesterday, and we were all wearing masks, and the line outside (they're limiting the number in store) were keeping a good distance between each person. Alas, some weren't paying attention to the one-way aisles, but most did.

      Delete
  2. The virus sprayed into France because of a religious gathering in Alsace more than one month ago. Special celebration or not, stay home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm almost ready to vote for snipers on rooftops. Just start picking off the violators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have since heard that, regardless of what people say on Twitter, most churches are holding services online, so parishioners can stay safe. It makes me feel better.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.