04 April, 2020

Descent Into Madness #AtoZChallenge

Hours after posting about how well I'm coping, I'm beginning to feel the insanity.

I'm sitting at home - as one does, these days - working on editing my draft from Nanowrimo, which I had postponed after my sister decided to drop dead in January and I took February off. One month. Out of commission. No contact, not much activity at all, least of all editing! 

That was by choice. No inkling that I'd be forced into it later.

In March I was slowly getting into editing again, doing a little more all the time, until I finally worked out a schedule to allow steady progress in my Magnum Opus (one can hope)

All that is to set the scene for you: 

This Covid19 Social Distancing, self-isolation, stay at home, non-essential businesses closed stuff really blows. Today I'm feeling it more than ever.

I want my coconut coffee. I saw a sign at a coffee shop when we ran out for groceries earlier that said "take away only" but we didn't stop because we had frozen foods. At least some places are open for coffee to-go. But I am really trying to be responsible. I am staying inside except for necessities. 

I want to go somewhere. 
I do my best writing, get my best ideas, when I can take my notebook to a restaurant or cafe - without the distractions of home - and just. Write. It's a successful tactic for me.

I can't. I mean, I will, but I can't.
A week or two before Vietnam officially declared restaurants closed except for delivery, I had gone out one evening, sat in a corner table at a local restaurant - because, truthfully, we locals are doing our best to help these places stay afloat without tourists - and I drank beer and wrote pages and pages. I was the only one there at first; then a trio of guys came in and sat on the far side of the restaurant. When the 4th table was being filled and I thought it was too close to me, I paid up and left. 

I can't do that anymore. 

I love my house. I love my tiny garden. I love the breeze that blows through our tropical home, aided by fans most days.

But I need variety. I crave variety. 
I have never been one for same-old, same-old. 
I am slowly Descending into madness.

I am safe from Covid19, and doing my part to keep everyone else in the world safe, too.
But. I am Descending into madness.

I guess the good news is that I won't be alone? What are your tactics for staying sane? Any ideas to create variety without going anywhere?

12 comments:

  1. Ooof. I feel ya.
    Thinking about it, there hasn't been a huge shift in my lifestyle since this lockdown started, but I used to at least go out twice a week, for writing and for church.

    My variety is mainly in drinking different pots of tea each time I sit down and write. I don't think it really helps much, but eh.

    Anna @ Deeply Shallow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Changing up foods and drinks is a good idea! Today I bought two apples - a luxury, as they are imported from the US - maybe I should try buying something different each time we go out!

      Delete
  2. we've just gone into almost-lockdown mode. yesterday.

    i've already been staying home and not meeting friends and not hanging out at my coffee places.

    so in my head i know it's been a day but the reality is that it's been more than a month. I have been making a LOT OF GRANOLA BARS and baking rye crispbread.

    Last night i cooked 5 vegetable dishes. I think my kitchen will need a break after this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. When this is all over, you'll be happy to give your kitchen a break!

      Delete
  3. We are all in the same boat.. we have been binge watching serials. .news is too gloomy ... this will end soon.. we have to be optimistic..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. There are a few things we've been watching. The other day it hit me that I'm tired of watching Covid-related things - like all the late night take shows doing shows from home on Youtube, and like Pandemic and other Covid-hyped shows.

      I think I'm ready to switch to something healthy like war epics.

      Delete
  4. I know exactly what you mean. It's nice to stay home, but at a certain point, you just want a change of scenery. My roommate and I have been taking hour-long walks once a day for about a week now. It helps to get out for that. Is there someplace outside you could go and just sit that's away from the house? That might help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The government has declared a strict "out for essentials only" edict, and they are setting up road-checks all over the city to check that people aren't just out for joy-rides. If I went somewhere, it would have to be off the beaten track, and that would mean, maybe sitting in the middle of a rice paddy? Maybe I need to go out wandering more often and see what comes up.

      Delete
  5. Since the kids left home I have mostly stayed at home. I'm all alone so if I go mad no one will even notice. I cry more than I used to. But I know this will pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you at least facetime or skype or something with family? I use facebook messenger more than anything. ... and my parents' wifi isn't too great, so we just audio call, but it's something.

      Delete
  6. It is definitely a challenge with the new stay at home mandates. We did a virtual game night tonight and my brother and sister-in-law used a digital background for their zoom link that made them look like they were on vacation. Maybe you could set your screen saver to a coffee shop or exotic location and try to pretend for at list a few minutes that you're someplace else. Hang in there and good luck!Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea!
      I know I can find "coffeeshop" music on Youtube. BGMC has some good stuff that sounds just like the background music in those places. Yes. I like it.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.