10 April, 2018

Instincts - Follow Them

In a dance club in Chicago, a guy I had met and was enjoying - dancing - suddenly asked me if I wanted to get a drink, and took my wrist as I said no. He took my wrist and pulled. Somewhat firmly. I'm not a wimp. I pulled away and said, "I'm not interested. No." And I lost myself in the crowd. He may have called me a bad name as I did so.

Was he a bad guy? Maybe not. Maybe so.
But I wasn't about to wait around and find out the hard way!

Not just about relationships. No.

When I was looking for apartments, I knew the first place I looked was right for me. My gut knew it. I still looked into two more developments, to please everyone else and their standards. "You can't just take the first place you look." Why not? Sure enough, I took that first apartment. My instinct was correct. I only moved out of that perfect place because I was getting married and we needed a bigger place.

I am an advocate of taking a night to "sleep on it", however. It's a kind of gut-check, I guess.

I was looking for jobs and had two promising interviews in the same week.  The second one was the one that excited me.  The first one gave me a solid offer first. I waited, and called the second one to see how close they'd be to making a decision. In the end, after sleeping and praying on it, I said no to the offer I had, even before getting an offer from the second place. I followed my instinct against the advice of those around me.

What are some occasions you made an instinctive decision that turned out well?
Did your gut ever steer you wrong?

(If you're visiting from A to Z, please include the name of your blog as it is on the Master List so I can return the favor!)

14 comments:

  1. We bought our current house because I saw it by accident (I'd turned the wrong corner) and it just looked "right" for us - it took 6mths to sell our old house and in the meantime we looked at lots of other options - but ultimately it came back to this one and it all fell into place.
    Same with my husband - I met him and married him in less than a year - polar opposites and after 35 yrs we're still going strong. Glad that gut instinct proved to be right!

    Leanne | www.crestingthehill.com.au
    I for If Opportunity….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That can happen. (On both counts)
      Good for you!

      Delete
  2. Instinct often steers us the right direction. Occasionally it derails.
    Happy A to Zing
    https://moondustwriter.com/2018/04/10/an-invisible-dragon-atozchallenge-children-dragons/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. That's why I take a night on big decisions.

      Delete
  3. That is so true. Nice reading your post. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was house-hunting in Arizona in March and looked at a lot of homes, but knew instinctively when I entered the one I wanted to make an offer on. It was the last house I looked at. I told the realtor I didn't need to see any more after that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been apartment hunting for a while. I realized my husband has a stricter list of "must haves" so I let him do the initial hunt. If he finds something he can live with, then I go double check.

      Delete
  5. Yes! Marriage to my second husband was an instinct. He was much older than me. But he was my soulmate. I will never regret following my instincts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The key, I've found, is to actually listen to your instinct, and not be blinded by your wishes.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes it takes quite a bit of courage to follow your instincts, especially when others are telling you to do otherwise. Sometimes you just know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Very few people who offer me unsolicited advice have lived my life and understand my mind.

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.