18 April, 2018

The Puzzle of LIfe

Life is like a puzzle. You just have to take the time to figure out where all the pieces fit.

Think about that a minute. Most of us start with the outer edges, the things that will help build a framework, the necessities. Some people start solving their puzzle in the middle: whatever pieces clearly go together.

I love this analogy, especially as it fits with moving. For me, it means sorting out the pieces of how a new country or culture will work for my life, but even when I just moved to a new state, town, or job, same thing. I had to make the puzzle pieces fit.

At first with any change, everything is chaotic. The pieces are all in a pile on the table in front of you. You smooth them out so you can see them, then start matching up the corners, the edges. First things first. Sometimes bits in the middle might clarify themselves before all the foundations are done.

Maybe, the piece you keep looking for was still flipped over so you couldn't even see it. 
Maybe you were looking straight at it, but not from the right angle to recognize it.
Maybe it was misconnected to a different puzzle piece.
Maybe you - or someone close to you - saw that it was the piece you needed, but you had to finish a different section before you could take the time to focus on it.

This analogy just goes on and on.

I must confess, I didn't think of this analogy. A friend of mine, who is a corporate trainer of some sort (I can't get a clear line on her job) came up with it for a webinar she did recently. But as I begin struggling with some big new changes in my life, the concept really is helpful to me. 

What about you? Does this help you? What other aspects of the analogy do you see? How far can we take it?

(If you're visiting from A to Z, please include the name of your blog as it is on the Master List so I can return the favor!)

9 comments:

  1. I really do like this analogy. But it leaves me wondering, how often do we ever finish the puzzle? I suppose it could be finished at some point, just to be torn apart so we can start all over again, or sometimes it could be torn apart just as we start to get the edges put together. Life can certainly be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My solution seems to be: When I've finished the puzzle of my current life, change something big like a job or location, to start a new puzzle!

      Delete
  2. I love analogies like this - what if someone comes and tips over the board and messes it all up? what if there are pieces missing and you have to allow the puzzle to never be fully complete? What if the dog chews up the piece that fell on the ground - is it still usable?

    Leanne | www.crestingthehill.com.au
    P for Practice makes Perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH! I never thought about the missing pieces. Sometimes the puzzle must remain unfinished. And that's okay.

      Delete
  3. I started my own "puzzle box" awhile back. I find that inspiration comes in pieces, so now when a random idea keeps tugging on me but I don't know what to do with it, I write it down and toss it in the puzzle box. Eventually I will pull them out and see how they fit together, how they connect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting idea. Is this for writing? Are you working on a book? I like this better than writing down notes, because we always look at notes in the order they were written, don't we?

      Delete
    2. I use my "puzzle box" mostly for writing, but also for other creative projects. It's my hope that even if they don't seem to logically connect, examining them as though they belong together might open my mind to a brilliant idea! (I'm not currently working on a book, but I want to.)

      Delete
  4. Wow! Yes. And living in China, we've had a bad habit of bringing a few pieces from old puzzles we've done and tried to force them into this new puzzle and they just don't fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOoooh. Good one. Sometimes an odd piece DOES get mixed in with a new puzzle!

      Delete

I enjoy a good debate. Feel free to shake things up. Tell me I'm wrong. Ask me why I have such a weird opinion. ...or, just laugh and tell how this relates to you and your life.